British soldier throws back a grenade

Man of Honour
Crazy stuff from our lads out there.

Rifleman James McKie, a 29-year-old British soldier, has been hailed as a hero after saving the lives of two others as he picked up and threw back a grenade which landed near them.

He said the grenade landed near the three men while they were situated on a rooftop in the Sangin area.

"I dived forward, picked up the grenade and threw it off the roof," Rifleman McKie said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8556665.stm

British forces... **** yeah!

Soldato
Balls th-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i---i-s-s-s-s big!!!!!
Just pulling the pin, cooking and lobbing a nade is scary enough (no, thats not a cod experience, thats real), but picking one up and throwing it back? Christ....
.....top man!

Soldato
achievement.jpg

Caporegime
what else are you going to do?

Run?

instinctively drop to the floor and cover head?

It takes balls to run at a grenade rather than away, especially when you have , what less than 3 seconds to close the gap and throw it.

What if you stumble or it goes off when you pick it up?

There was the guy last year who dived on a grenade fro ma booby trap, destroyed his back pack and armour (he sort of went on his back pushing it onto the corner between the wall and the floor).

Got the George cross and saved his mates lives.

That's gotta be terrifying though, those few seconds where you are lying on the grenade waiting for it to go off :(

Being able to have the reasoning to do anything other than leg it/ just stare dumbly at a grenade is pretty impressive tbh.

Back
Top Bottom