How to cut a window into aluminum?

Associate
It's my first time attempting to cut into an aluminum side panel.

Have just brought myself a Lian Li PC-A70FB and want to minimalise the chance of screw ups. It's a basic rectangle window shape with curved edges and the perspex window will sit behind it as it's already been etched onto.

How would one go about cutting a window safely with minimal screw ups and to give it that professional look :)?

Soldato
lots of masking tape,dremmel,correct mesurments,time and a very steady hand.
just make sure you mesure up propeley and take your time dont rush it or you will make a hash of it

Associate
Definatley use a Jigsaw with a metal saw.
Fix the panel to a proper work bench with some strong clamps and check that it will not move, the last thing you wan't to do is to cut your fingers off..eeek.

Soldato
The way i did mine was mask the area you do not want to cut, make sure you mesure twice cut once. take your time and use a very good fine tooth metal blade for your jigsaw, make sure you have a few so that you can change the blade regular, it is good to keep a sharp blade in because the cuts will stay clean, if possible use a piece of smooth wood, clamp it in place as a guide and leave your self atleast 1mm to your desired line, that way you can file it back and sand the edge to finish it.

Heres mine on my lian li A05b

DSCN0211.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

Soldato
Rubber edging is your friend if you make a mistake, so don't panic if you have issues! There are actually some positives to using edging, like ease of replacing the window if you want to try something different or it gets damaged.

Soldato
It's my first time attempting to cut into an aluminum side panel.

Have just brought myself a Lian Li PC-A70FB and want to minimalise the chance of screw ups. It's a basic rectangle window shape with curved edges and the perspex window will sit behind it as it's already been etched onto.

How would one go about cutting a window safely with minimal screw ups and to give it that professional look :)?

where you live i could help if you are local.

Back
Top Bottom