Classic car insurance - Am i missing something obvious?

Caporegime
Hi guys,

So I was looking at quotes for insurance on another MR2 Tubby, or an RX7 and decided to give Classic Insurance a shot (Most cars im looking at would be '94 or older, so over 15 years old)

Now the quotes im seeing from the usual insurance comparing websites such as Confused and Compare were kicking out £900-£12000 for either, yet classic insurace is £280 :confused:

I realise that Classic insurace has it's limitations such as age, penalty points, modifications etc, but it just seems ridiculously cheap for an imported group 20 car.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Such as differences in cover between classic/regular?

Cheers

Caporegime
Watch out for mileage limitations and requirement to garage at night for theft cover to operate properly.

Not all of them, secured on the drive is just fine. TBH, having the car in the garage gives the crooks more time to break in noticed and take the car, if it's on the drive then I can hear/see what's going on.

Soldato
Not all of them, secured on the drive is just fine. TBH, having the car in the garage gives the crooks more time to break in noticed and take the car, if it's on the drive then I can hear/see what's going on.

I just said watch out for it, not that it's the default requirement.

Different policies, different insurers, different attitudes 'n all that.

Soldato
As an example the Hagerty policy says: -

We will not cover.......

"Loss of or damage to your car by theft (or any attempt at theft) or
malicious damage between 10.00pm and 06.00am within the
proximity of the usual garaging address unless your car is in a
secure locked garage. This exclusion does not apply in cases where,
subject to our prior agreement and the payment of the appropriate
additional premium, your car is kept on your driveway or other
location agreed by us.

Loss of or damage to your car following theft or attempted theft, if it
was unoccupied at the time of the loss or damage, unless your car
was locked and the ignition key or other removable ignition device
removed"

Just an example - you need to be careful & try to buy yourself out of such exclusions if possible, naturally this is only if such exclusions exist.

Associate
I've just had a look and all of the ones listed above require the car to be garaged for an online quotation. I'll ring a couple later but is there anyone that's fine for the car to be kept on a private road?

Soldato
I have my 89 Golf GTI and 72 911 insured with Hagerty for less than £400pa. Golf lives outside and without that it'd be £150!

Both have mileage limits on though and you can't use them for commuting.

Back
Top Bottom