Have I broken my onboard Lan ?

Associate
I was swapping my network cable between 2 computers in the same room.
My main machine (see sig) suddenly prompted me to choose if my network was part of a home, work or public network then refused to connect to the interent.
Other computers in the house still work.
My motherboard is MA770-UD3 (REV 2.0) featuring Realtek 8111C adaptor.
I'm on Win 7 HP 64 bit. ISP is virgin media 50mb cable.
Device manager shows the device to be working correctly but I get the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark 'no internet connectivity'.

Things I've tried :

- Uninstall the device in device manager. Re-install the latest drivers from gigabyte's website. No joy.

- Disable the onboard Lan from the Bios, boot, shutdown, enable, boot. No Joy.

- Tried tested working ethernet cable. No joy.

- Windows troubleshooting advises me to reboot the modem, which I have done to no effect.

Fortunately, I had a spare D-Link PCI ethernet card, which I connected. Win7 found the drivers for the device. Everything works perfectly again (with my original cable).

So, I've eliminated the cable, the drivers, I'm thinking either the socket itself may have been damaged or else windows threw a strange hissy fit & I need to find some astonishingly obscure setting to get the onboard Lan to work again.

Obviously, I am OK for now but I would prefer to get my onboard working again if I can.

My only thought is an IRQ problem but I know nothing about this or how to control it. I'm not that hot on the whole networking side of things.
Any thoughts peeps ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you sure it is not something as simple as incorrect configuration?

Not at all. But the incorrect configuration must have been caused just by plugging & unplugging the cable with firefox open & I have no idea what configuration & where it might be found.

Associate
its a shot in the dark, but i had this issue with my ga-x58a-ud5. Cutting power to the pc seem to make it work again, ie shutdown and then unplug/switch off the mains for a few seconds.

Don
try updating the driver for it, from the realtek website

if you can't get it working, download the slax iso, burn with imgburn, and see if that live linux disc has a working network with it.. if it does work, then it's a windows / driver problem

Back
Top Bottom