• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i5 Overclocking Thread***

Soldato
Done some overclocking and managed to get this below stable in prime, this test here around 1 hour 20 in and intel burn test, volts are are they ok ?
Cpu 1.2935
QPI 1.23
PCH 1.12
PLL 1.88

32417023.png

Soldato
Is it normal for windows system to not show the correct speed of these, where it shows you your windows experience score on my old system it said what ever i had it clocked to but on this it just shows the stock speed 2.66 all the time.

Associate
Done some overclocking and managed to get this below stable in prime, this test here around 1 hour 20 in and intel burn test, volts are are they ok ?
Cpu 1.2935
QPI 1.23
PCH 1.12
PLL 1.88
[/IMG]

Very good vcore compared to my chip to be 4GHz stable.

Which PRIME test were you running btw?

Mine will fail a 'Blend' test after a few minutes at that voltage... Can't say I touched any other voltages yet though so maybe that's the reason.

Soldato
Very good vcore compared to my chip to be 4GHz stable.

Which PRIME test were you running btw?

Mine will fail a 'Blend' test after a few minutes at that voltage... Can't say I touched any other voltages yet though so maybe that's the reason.

Using blend test on it, originally i had a higher vcore 1.34 ish then i put the latest bios in for board and started again and i managed to get it lower but originally i left the other voltage settings on auto then saw a thread about what is advisable to use and went from there.

On the ram all i can recall messing with was manually setting the ram voltage as my board put it at 1.67 instead of 1.5 as they say it uses on the sticks and i just set the levels to 9-9-9-24 as specified on the ram.

mib

mib

Associate
I figured I would share my OC with you guys so here it is

2jfwp7c.png

This is with all the cpu features turned off and only the CPU voltage changed to 1.256, everything else left on auto

Heres the full set of specs

Intel core i5 750 @ 4.4Ghz 1.4v or 4Ghz 1.27v (depends if im gaming or not)
4GB Geil Ultra series Ram 2133mhz
Asus Maximus III Formula Motherboard
80GB Intel X-25m G2 SSD
Ati Radeon HD 5870
Corsair H50-1 watercooler with 2x Noctua NF-P14 fans
Antec 300 case
Win7 Pro x64

ATM I have a crappy unbranded PSU which is stopping me from pushing even further so this week hopefully I should be buying a Corsair HX 750w so expect an even better OC soon :D

And just incase anyone thought the temp where a little lower than most, well here is why :)

hpim0607j.jpg

hpim0606.jpg

Thats only a temporary thing but I just did it out of curiosity more than anything :p

mib

mib

Associate
I love it, it only took about 10 mins to put together and it took a legit 18c off temps. My new PSU will arrive today so be ready for a better overclock ;)

Associate
Hi Everyone,

Well i have been working with my first real overclock for a few days and happy to rest on it with the below pic, memory running above 1333 is an issue but happy with the 1140 and tighter timings.

PS first time putting a pic in so hope it shows up

Vcore 1.248
Qdi Volt 1.30
Mem volts 1.66
Mem Speed 1140 (7-7-7-19) 1T

Just like to say thank you to everyone who posts as it really helped me work out what was going on,

Nice one

Soldato
Uncore and Dram voltages

I see everyone overvolts VTT to the point where it's exceeding the absolute maximum voltages specified by Intel:

Vcore - 1.55V
Vtt - 1.21V
Vdram - 1.65V
Vpll - 1.98V

These are NOT the maximum voltages recommended by Intel. According to them such voltages will definitely reduce a lifespan of the Lynnfields (Core i5 7** and Core i7 8**) as well as can lead to instability in the future (even if they're stable at the moment).

I'm pretty sure there's a slight margin of error but people should be aware that applying higher voltages for their memory or uncore does not have same effects as in Nehalems (Core i7 9**).

I don't know about you but I always try to find a sweetspot between the maximum performance, my needs and CPU's lifespan. In this particular case I would not be worry as much about temps and core voltage as about the other voltages applied to CPU controllers. Damaging them will damage the CPU thus you need to be extra careful with those too.

Now the funny thing is that RAM manufacturers recommend running the memory @1.65V whilst it's exceeding maximum recommended voltages according to Intel. They don't seem to be to concerned about the problem (if there is any).

I personally count on VTT voltage of 1.21V being a margin of safety with 1.65V voltage applied to my RAM sticks. Cannot max out my CPU with these low Vtt thus my overclock is limited but I need to be sure of my system's stability for years to come.

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322164.pdf - Table 7.6 page 69

Inspired by this and other threads - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=332659

Maximum voltages recommended by Intel:

Vcore - 1.4V
Vtt - 1.155V
Vddr - 1.575V
Vpll - 1.89V

5% over stock voltages tends to be max, 10% absolute max as claimed by Intel.

Last edited:
Associate
I know what you're saying about the VTT. I've got mine set to 1.18v at the moment and have a nice, stable 4Ghz with a decent core voltage too.

93377946.png

As nice as it'd be to get to 4.2Ghz I've found that exponential increases of VTT are needed to go past 4Ghz; with Intel's recommended maximums in mind I'm not willing to push it further at the moment. :)

Soldato
Mine is a ****** up overclocker then. Couldn't do stable 4GHz with 200 bclk, [email protected], no matter what core voltage I applied to it. It only crashed in IntelBurnTest after 15 loops or so, maximum stress level. It's not stable to me by any means.

Is your overclock with LLC enabled?

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L considered a decent budget overclocking board? Just after something to tide me over til the Hex cores become more mainstream/cheaper

cheers

Si

Associate
The Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L considered a decent budget overclocking board? Just after something to tide me over til the Hex cores become more mainstream/cheaper

cheers

Si

I had 1 for a few days clocked very well...but got unlucky and encountered a problem which could have occurred from the amount of pressure needed to seat the ram and the faffing about with it

Problem being only able to boot with 1 stick then add the other...after a cmos reset rapid beeps had to remove ram then insert 1 stick to boot up again

After few days slot did not recognise 1 stick anymore and had to rma board.

Obviously unlucky but when it was working it was good.[email protected]

Soldato
I enabled Load Line Calibration, vcore set to 1.25V in bios, cpu-z shows 1.272V idle and 1.312V under load. Are these voltage spikes normal and within reasonable limits?

LLC off and voltage in Cpu-z shows the one set in bios (idle), drops down by about 0.5V under load.

Temps below 30*C idle, 70*C load. It didn't hit 70*C yet but they still seem high, with LLC off I could set the v-core to 1.4V and get about the same temps fully loaded.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had 1 for a few days clocked very well...but got unlucky and encountered a problem which could have occurred from the amount of pressure needed to seat the ram and the faffing about with it

Problem being only able to boot with 1 stick then add the other...after a cmos reset rapid beeps had to remove ram then insert 1 stick to boot up again

After few days slot did not recognise 1 stick anymore and had to rma board.

Obviously unlucky but when it was working it was good.[email protected]

Nice results vocch, out of interest what cooler? Seems good for the dosh

Back
Top Bottom