DELETED_74993

Caporegime
"When people used Vicks First Defence Micro-Gel Nasal Spray at the first signs of a cold, 77 per cent said they didn’t develop a full blown cold."

But how many wouldn't have anyway? I'm highly sceptical of this product. Surely, if you have started exhibiting symptoms as initiated by a common cold virus, it's already too late for some nose spray to help?

Soldato
"When people used Vicks First Defence Micro-Gel Nasal Spray at the first signs of a cold, 77 per cent said they didn’t develop a full blown cold."

But how many wouldn't have anyway? I'm highly sceptical of this product. Surely, if you have started exhibiting symptoms as initiated by a common cold virus, it's already too late for some nose spray to help?

That was my take on it too as if I recall correctly the cold doesn't show syptoms until well after infection. As for the 77%, that proves nothing without a control group doing the same with a placebo.

Soldato
I have never had a full blown cold for two years since using that stuff.

I would normally have two or three full blown ones a year. Worst i've had since finding VFD is a blocked nose.

I swear by the stuff.

Caporegime
I have never had a full blown cold for two years since using that stuff.

I would normally have two or three full blown ones a year. Worst i've had since finding VFD is a blocked nose.

I swear by the stuff.

So you spray your nose every so many days?

My Girlfriend tried this once when she thought she was getting a cold...after spraying, the next morning she had a full blown cold :p So I think it gave her a cold :p

Soldato
What is a 'full-blown' cold as opposed to anything, surely you either have a cold or not?

You just know. Its when your energy is drained and you just feel totaly beat. Everyone knows the feeling, it kicks the crap outta you along with the typical symptons.

I have never had the above since using First Defence.

Caporegime
A cold might start to take hold and produce some symptoms but may not get any further than that due to the vicks???

So Vicks First Defence now becomes the first medicine able to eliminate a virus infection through spraying something in your nose! I'm not a qualified doctor, but I didn't think that was possible.

Tastes pure rank when it trickles down the back of your throat though.

Wrong thread?

Last edited:
Caporegime
"Vicks First Defence makes no claim to cure colds, or to prevent them. But it does claim to reduce the chance of developing a full-blown cold by up to 50 per cent if taken promptly at the first sign of symptoms and to cut symptoms by up to 40 per cent.

Professor Ron Eccles, of the Common Cold Centre at Cardiff University, said yesterday that he was excited by the development. “I’m supportive,” he said. “It’s a very good idea on their part.” The new treatment, which is not a drug, aims to trap the cold virus using a viscous gel, disarm it by creating an environment in which it cannot flourish and remove it by increasing the snuffles and washing it away. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1081226.ece

Associate
So Vicks First Defence now becomes the first medicine able to eliminate a virus infection through spraying something in your nose! I'm not a qualified doctor, but I didn't think that was possible.

Wrong thread?

It seems I was right

** What is Vicks First Defence? **
Vicks First Defence is a micro gel nasal spray, which contains natural plant extracts (i.e. no drugs), and is designed to work in harmony with your body's natural defence mechanisms. I'm not going to list all the ingredients, but on having a look at the instructions the product comes with, the ingredients contain well-known things such as zinc, menthol, camphor and eucalyptus, all of which have proven qualities in either boosting your immune system or helping combat infection. The gel is squirted into the back of your nasal passage, which is where a cold virus first tries to take root in your body. The idea is that the gel sits in your nasal passage and creates such a nasty atmosphere/hostile environment that the cold virus decides it's not welcome, and goes away. To put it more technically, the gel works alongside your body's natural defence mechanisms, and helps it flush out the virus. It evidently works in three main ways. Firstly, the gel encourages you to produce mucus, which is how we naturally flush out a virus. Secondly, the gel introduces a low pH value into the nasal area and viruses tend to thrive in a higher one. Thirdly, the gel coats the virus in micro spray so it cannot multiple, nor travel so quickly and easily to the rest of your body.

Associate
It seems I was right

** What is Vicks First Defence? **
Vicks First Defence is a micro gel nasal spray, which contains natural plant extracts (i.e. no drugs), and is designed to work in harmony with your body's natural defence mechanisms. I'm not going to list all the ingredients, but on having a look at the instructions the product comes with, the ingredients contain well-known things such as zinc, menthol, camphor and eucalyptus, all of which have proven qualities in either boosting your immune system or helping combat infection. The gel is squirted into the back of your nasal passage, which is where a cold virus first tries to take root in your body. The idea is that the gel sits in your nasal passage and creates such a nasty atmosphere/hostile environment that the cold virus decides it's not welcome, and goes away. To put it more technically, the gel works alongside your body's natural defence mechanisms, and helps it flush out the virus. It evidently works in three main ways. Firstly, the gel encourages you to produce mucus, which is how we naturally flush out a virus. Secondly, the gel introduces a low pH value into the nasal area and viruses tend to thrive in a higher one. Thirdly, the gel coats the virus in micro spray so it cannot multiple, nor travel so quickly and easily to the rest of your body.

If there's an actual clinical study to back it up then I will be convinced, but so far we've had a comment from a Professor who says he is 'supportive' (I would like to see if he has ever been paid by Vicks ;)) and the sales blurb above, of which I particularly liked the highlighted bit :p

Back
Top Bottom