Which i5 750 cpu cooler?

Friend bought an i5 rig yesterday and seems that the CoolIt (very similar to the corsair all in one water cpu cooler) is faulty.

What hsf do you lot recommend for an i5 cpu?
Ideally no more expensive than the CoolIt one.

Needs to have good cooling as we are aiming for 4ghz overclock and quiet.
Thanks

Associate
I'm using a Megahalems. At 4.0GHz with 75 celcius load temps (IBT) in a case with crap airflow. Very good performance I reckon. Using push/pull yate loons

Soldato
Instead of the Prolimatech, check out the Thermalright Venomous X. And it's crazy spending that much money on the Noctua NH-U12P these days seeing as how the NH-D14 is vastly superior for not much more.

However since cost is an issue, I highly suggest you check out the Tuniq 120 Tower and the Alpenfohn Nordwand. Both of those will end up significantly cheaper than the VX with two fans or the NH-D14. The Cogage arrow is proving to be very good as well but that is the only cooler I haven't tried personally.

Associate
Hi All,

The Titan Fenrir is still not available at Overclockers for 1156 socket.

I bought my rig a few weeks back and im glad i bought these components.

I5 750
Gigabyte P55 US3L
Zalman Extreme

I have overclocked this cpu without a hitch, no bsod nothing.

3.8 Ghz
FSB 181 X 21 Multiplier @ 1.18 Vcore Just exellent
At full load getting 52 degrees after 2 hrs prime95.

And i think i can go further,

I would recommend this cpu and motherboard to everyone.

What do you guys think on the temps?

Thanks

Chapa

Soldato
My temps posted from the I5 overclocking thread using the same cpu on a H50-1 am more than happy with the results even with intel burn test it doesn't go much above 70 and we all know that pushes more than prime.

Done some overclocking and managed to get this below stable in prime, this test here around 1 hour 20 in and intel burn test, volts are are they ok ?
Cpu 1.2935
QPI 1.23
PCH 1.12
PLL 1.88

32417023.png

Associate
I havent tried going to 4 Ghz, but i would think i can get to this with lower temps on air cooling.

My CPU is at 3,8 Ghz at 1.18 volts, all the others to default settings.

Jabbs i would try using the 21 multiplier, as i have always heard that odd multipliers are more stable.

Associate
How are you finding overclocking on the UD3?
The fancier boards have 12 or 24 phase power but to me it seemed like it was of little use other than to sell more.

Honestly, I just used the settings that were in a CustomPC issue for the UD2, and it went straight to 3.8. I was getting decent temps so I took it up another notch to 4.0 and it hasn't batted an eyelid. It runs perfectly with no hiccups, no crashes. It's a very good board as far as I'm concerned, and I wanted a full atx to allow room for monster coolers (I was scared it wouldn't fit with a graphics card installed on a UD2).

All in all, very happy with my spec, and the megahalems is performing exactly as I had hoped. I'm going to try reducing fan speed on the Yates and see how that affects temps, but that should be a few days.

EDIT: I think the settings are on bit-tech too if you have a rummage in the CPU section

Associate
Associate
Hi Chapa,

My idle temps are around 38C,while my load temps on IBT get to 75C,which I'm comfortable with.this shows how lazy I was with overclocking my i5: I don't even know what they call the vcore anymore (maybe that's what it still is!). Anyway,main chip voltage is 1.35,a couple of other tweaks. All the settings are in that bit tech article above.unfortunately I've just come back from work so can't really start delving into my BIOS I'm afraid

James

Back
Top Bottom