Motorola Cliq/Dext - Android device

Soldato
Hi

Just been reading about this upcoming Android phone from Motorola. It's called the Clix in the states but the Dext elsewhere and is due out here next month in Orange.
I've never liked any Moto phone but this seems nice and reports are saying it's interface is nice as well as quick too.

Specs:
Full Touchscreen with FULL QWERTY side slider
# 320 x 480 pixel screen resolution
# Android 1.5 (Cupcake)
# 5MP camera with auto-focus
# 3.5mm headset jack
# MicroSD up to 32GB support
# 1420 mAh battery
# Syncs contacts, posts, messages, photos and much more—from sources such as Facebook®, MySpace, Twitter, Gmail™, work and personal e-mail, and LastFM
# 5 stellar homescreen widgets to keep you always in-the-know: Happenings, Messages, Social Status, News Feeds, Calendar… plus your widgets from Android Market
# MOTO Blur account allows you to back up your contacts/data, find a lost phone and easily integrate your existing contact info for friends/family/business

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...nd-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-CLIQ-US-EN

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/sep/10/motorola-cliq-dext-launch

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought an unlocked Motorola Dext for £150 delivered to replace my 5800, which I hope to sell and get at least £100 back. £50 to go android isn't too bad, the Dext is confirmed by motorolla to be getting Eclair 2.1 soon as well.

Anyone on OCUK got one of these? What's the story on Rooting / Custom Firmwares?

I really wanted a 800x480 res android device, but prices are still out of my reach for now. Hopefully the Dext will last me the rest of the year and I can see what comes out at Xmas (A reasonably priced Dell Mini 5 would be perfect!)

Soldato
Been playing around with my new Dext, I'm really enjoying the Android OS. Capacitive touch screen is great too, it's much more responsive than my Nokia 5800.
The Dext has got a physical keyboard, which is good for emulators and games, but for typing I'm using Swype - an awesome new touchscreen predictive text system. Swype is much faster than any other text entry system i've used on a phone, even my Blackberry physical keyboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSSOl4f9RA

Motoblur (Motorola's messaging and social network tools) is good too, I can post and recieve facebook updates in an on screen widget (if I used twitter or myspace it would integrate those too) and It merged all my facebook contacts with my SIM contacts, so when they call their profile pic shows up.

Very impressed by it all so far, It's only running on Android 1.5 at the moment so i'm missing a few features and some performance polish, but Motorola has committed to pushing out an update to 2.1 in the next few months.

One negative thing I have noticed is annoying line noise through my earphones if I have the physical keyboard out.

Soldato
Hey,

I was looking at the Milestone/Desire etc, but I just can't stomach spending that much on a phone - found the Dext for £160 on the Orange website, which seems like a good deal. Will it be Orange branded and/or locked? If so, how easy is it to unlock?

How good/bad is the battery life on the Dext? And is there any definitive word on an Android 2.1/2.2 update?

Thanks,

Su

Back
Top Bottom