Insurers offering DOC for under 25s

Soldato
Bear in mind if he thinks that this is an easy route to driving something he would never get insurance for by insuring something with a 1.0 litre engine or something, DOC only applies where the vehicle being driven already has a insurance policy in force that covers it.

Man of Honour
We have this every 3 months like clockwork. You are completely wrong - there is no requirement for the car you drive on DOC to be insured independantly unless your insurance policy specifically states it, which most do not. There is no reason why your insurer would care anyway - the insurance status of the other vehicle is completely irrelevent to you using it.

Soldato
[citation needed]

So what's to stop someone buying a Ferrari and a Mini, only insuring the Mini and driving around the Ferrari every day with third-party cover? Seems like a pretty obvious loophole to me!

Caporegime
[citation needed]

So what's to stop someone buying a Ferrari and a Mini, only insuring the Mini and driving around the Ferrari every day with third-party cover? Seems like a pretty obvious loophole to me!

Er, because you'd own both?

DOC (in 99.9% of cases) states that the other vehicle must belong to someone else.

Also, would you want to leave your Ferrari lying round, uninsured?

Soldato
I think the common requirement is that it cant be owned by you

Mine does say it has to be insured, although they only offer it to 25 year olds so it's a moot point anyway

Man of Honour
[citation needed]

No, thats you that needs the citation ;)

All DOC clauses contain the term 'Not owned by you or leased to you under the terms of a hire purchase agreement' which solves this.

Soldato
i thought DOC would be great when i got it, turned out to be pretty much useless. Drove a few mates sheds home from the pub thats about it.

Need to borrow someones motor thats worth more than a few k, no way i am driving it without proper insurance.

Soldato
i thought DOC would be great when i got it, turned out to be pretty much useless. Drove a few mates sheds home from the pub thats about it.

Need to borrow someones motor thats worth more than a few k, no way i am driving it without proper insurance.

Agreed - I thought it would be really useful when I turned 25 in Feb, but the only real use for it would be to borrow one of Dad's cars. No way he'd let me borrow his brand new estate or his mint MG without fully comp, so he just added me as a second driver for those few occasions - cost almost nothing to add me anyway

Man of Honour
[citation needed]

Also, how do you tax the Ferrari? And what happens if you prang the Ferrari? Not the sort of car you are going to be able to pay for repairs on yourself unless you are loaded - and if you were loaded you wouldn't need to run a DOC scam.

Associate
As daz said earlier on in the thread The Co-operative Insurance has DOC cover for under 25s as long as you don't own the vehicle or are trying to retrieve it from being impounded or some such. Doesn't need to be insured.

Their quote was about 20% more than the cheapest insurer but it was worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom