Leaving Sky to go back to Freeview

Associate
So my 18 month contract with Sky HD is due to expire at end of month. We never opted for movies/sports, so think its just been a bit of an unnecessary expense each month as we don't really watch many channels above and beyond standard freeview ones. We love the PVR side of things as the flexibility of coming back to prerecorded stuff has been really excellent. If we cancel our contract can we still use the box as a freeview PVR? Do we have to pay a basic package to do so? Anything else I should be aware of?

Soldato
you wil need to agree to pay i believe around £10 a month to use it as a pvr - sucks i know but thats life i guess.

i know what you mean about HD though , its expensive for the content especially if you dont have sports/movies.

Soldato
It would be worth checking out something like Freesat rather than freeview tbh (unless that's what you meant?).

At least with Freesat you'll still get some HD channels, and it won't cost you anything because you already have a dish :)

Soldato
Freesat HD PVR or Freeview HD PVR (when they come out) would be a better option as said.

Gonna cancel the HD sub myself. Have Sports, but only watch it when there is a match on and all the other HD channels just play repeats. BBCHD and C4HD are actually the only ones i watch and Sky1HD if there is anything good on which is rare.

Soldato
Sorry to highjack, but on the subject of cancelling Sky... When you sign up to Sky HD (as a new customer) can you cancel the HD part of it if it's ****?

I know you enter a contract with them with the whole thing as a service, just not sure on the HD side of it.

Been looking at getting Sky HD for a while (for Sky Sports HD and ESPN HD mainly)... but if it's parp, I'd like to downgrade to "normal" Sky if possible.

Associate
Just thought i would let you know, i do a lot of maintenance work in B&Q and they have a HD satalite kit for sale at £79 (includes dish and wall fixing bracket, coax cable and HD satalite box) this caught my eye so i looked at the details and it says the receiver has a usb port that you can plug a hard drive/usb flash drive into and record. I am not sure what the software will be like and whether you can record a series automatically e.t.c. but may be worth looking into. Its the cheapest HD satalite receiver i have seen that has a PVR function.

EDIT: just found this link to the manafacturer, Ross (aint heard that brand for years)

http://www.ross.co.uk/satellite-tv/hd-satellite-kit

Its NOT Freesat but only free to air channels which is all the same channels as freesat but no EPG only now and next and the recording function i think is only if you are watching what you record :(

Last edited:
Soldato
you wil need to agree to pay i believe around £10 a month to use it as a pvr - sucks i know but thats life i guess.

i know what you mean about HD though , its expensive for the content especially if you dont have sports/movies.

It will be a minimum of £18 per month in order to use the + functionality.

Back
Top Bottom