Vista 64 to Windows 64, quick question

Associate
When upgrading from Vista64 to Windows7 64bit, do you still need to phone up Microsoft with activation codes etc?

And for those that went this 'upgrade' route, did your install process go okay?

Cheers :)

Soldato
I did this to my laptop but then though meh every upgrade ive seen or done has never gone well.

All i did was pop in my windows 7 upgrade dell sent me and it allows you to format the drive if theres a vista install on that drive. This gives you a fresh start and will mimise errors.

As for ringing MS i didnt I just entered the key which came with windows 7 and click activate.

Associate
OP
I actually though ringing MS was mandatory and pictured myself in a queue for hours on end..

Although I've had a few PCs in my time, I've never upgraded the operating system of any of them. This PC (in my siggy) has Vista64 on it, recently caught a trojan/virus and had to use Acronis True Image to get it everything back. Although my system now feels fresh (or rather empty!) I'd still like to upgrade and say bye bye to Vista :) Thanks for your time matthab

Soldato
I actually though ringing MS was mandatory and pictured myself in a queue for hours on end..

Although I've had a few PCs in my time, I've never upgraded the operating system of any of them. This PC (in my siggy) has Vista64 on it, recently caught a trojan/virus and had to use Acronis True Image to get it everything back. Although my system now feels fresh (or rather empty!) I'd still like to upgrade and say bye bye to Vista :) Thanks for your time matthab

Nah, as before (in XP) for the first couple times at least, Windows will activate itself online automatically if it needs to. So no waiting on the phone. The only time i ever needed to call was after the fifth(?) or so time I installed XP and it wouldnt let me do it automatically any more. Even then didnt take too long, no queues just an automated system and lots of numbers :)

I've never actually gone through the 'upgrade path' myself, I'm somewhat more keen on the idea of a total refresh, no redundant system files/registry entries/whatevers from a previous install to get in the way.. That's just me though, I understand many people need to keep programs/files etcetc though.
Either way it's up to you, the media should allow you to install fresh or use the upgrade path.

Soldato
I always used the upgrade method ( cba to reinstall 150+ apps) , it's fine and works pretty much flawlessly in my experience.

No idea on the activating bit though.

Back
Top Bottom