Quick i7 spec check before pressing order

Associate
Want to reach 4ghz. Going to be using Scythe Gentle Typhoons on cooler but OCUK don't sell them :(

Everything best bang for buck and up to the task?

order.png

Associate
OP
For motherboard, the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R is a better choice in terms of bang for bucks, plus it has two USB3.0 ports and two SATA 6Gb/s:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-235-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1692

It also can take i7 920/930 to 4GHz/4.3GHz

Sidenote: You gonna use existing HDD and PSU/Case right?

I saw one of the reviews that said it only had two USB ports, is this right, picture looks like it too, but the spec says diff. I'd need more than two and would go for it if it has these and is a stable good clocker

oh and ye existing parts will be used, although card to be upgraded with 5850, eventually two in crossfire and an intel SSD to be added later

Last edited:
Associate
While I cant comment on the UD3R I can tell you that the UD5 is utterly ROCK SOLID :D
Had mine comming up a year now and its been utterly flawless running at 4Ghz day in, day out.
Hands down best board I've ever owned.

Soldato
4Ghz prime stable is not a given on either board, ive had 6 x58 boards and 4 I7 920s, the way each mobo/CPU combo clocks varys quite a bit, if you want 4Ghz i would be more worried about the power supplied by the mobo and also the cooling of NB/mosfets rather than how many sata 6gb and usb 3 ports it has.

Associate
OP
4Ghz prime stable is not a given on either board, ive had 6 x58 boards and 4 I7 920s, the way each mobo/CPU combo clocks varys quite a bit, if you want 4Ghz i would be more worried about the power supplied by the mobo and also the cooling of NB/mosfets rather than how many sata 6gb and usb 3 ports it has.

What would you say is the cheapest most stable overclocking board you have had out of those 6 x58 boards then?

Back
Top Bottom