Replace 2xSamsung F3's with a Caviar Black 2TB

Soldato
As in title, I am thinking of replacing the 2 F3's with a single 2TB Caviar Black, even a Green model, as I use the hard drives for storage (mp3's, divx etc..), and downloads. So speed is probably not important. SDD's are used for OS and Games.

Just wondering if anyone out there has used the 2TB Black. Is it noisy ? Reviews online seem mixed.

Soldato
I put one in a NAS for a friend and it was quite enough to sit under the telly without drawing attention to itself. I had read about it (but didn't choose the drive) so was a little concerned. Definatly makes a bit more noise than my Samsung F3s (and Seagate 7200.12s before).

Different people experiance noise differently I guess

Last edited:
Soldato
The Black would be a pretty mental purchase. You can get 2x 2TB F3 EcoGreens for that price which are very quiet drives and more than fast enough for storage and general use.

Associate
wouldnt bother...with the new storage format that is coming out there will probably be a jump in drive performance, not major, but would justify a lot more changing two of the best drives out there.

As is with your proposition, dont, it would cost a lot and do no good.

Permabanned
Depends if you value the integrity of the DATA to be stored?!?
WD build the best quality and most reliable HD's imho, and are more comparable to SCSI drive build quality.
Samsung however may produce fast drives but they have a poor build quality with a shocking reliability record. (From extensive personal experience)

I only buy WD drives and certain Seagate drives, wouldn't buy a sammy drive if I was paid.

Associate
WD build the best quality and most reliable HD's imho, and are more comparable to SCSI drive build quality.
Samsung however may produce fast drives but they have a poor build quality with a shocking reliability record. (From extensive personal experience)

I only buy WD drives and certain Seagate drives, wouldn't buy a sammy drive if I was paid.

Actually there was a survey done a while back, and all HDD manufacturers had about the same RMA rate.

Associate
i had a samsung 20.1GB drive back in the Pentium3 days. Still works like a dream. had a 200GB seagate for 4yrs and it failed.

only option is samsung or WD. WD Black are quire known for heat and noise so i went with the F3 and i don't regret anything.

Associate

Agreed.. Samsung and reliability don't go in the same sentence..

Associate
well i would say it is a person preference, because i have never had a samsung failed, but i have had a western digital raptor X and seagate failed, not like it would stop me recommending them to anyone

Soldato
Ive never had samsungs fail on me, ive had multiple western digitals fail on me. As the others say, its down to personal experience.

Associate
Had several WDs, Several Seagates, Many IBM/Hitachis, and 1 samsung fail (DoA) on me.
Its all much of a muchness; I've just gone from Sammy F1s to WD Greens in my fileserver, but running a 500GB F3 as my system disk; all seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom