• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gtx 470/480 Waterblocks

Soldato
Is aquacomputer relatively new to the WC scene?

aqua link not working...

bitspower looks clean, however koolance one is just PIMPIN!

Associate
As i thought, they seem to be going with nickel, is it cheaper or easier to mill?. Allthough thats not a bad thing, but would have thought copper would be much bette for these vey hot cards, they do look like massive blocks though.

Would echo what jokester said, even 5850/70/90 blocks are abit hard to get atm, these 4xx blocks will be sooo rare.

Edit: could see people spending £550+ for an evaga card+waterblock, :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Reckon a Dtek GFX2 block would still cover the core on this card, assuming a suitable mounting pate can be found/made?

Done a bit of digging. Apparently the IHS size is not pretty much the same as on the GTX280, and I know the Dtek GFX2 covers that ok. So, looking at the design of the stock cooler on the GTX480 its is actually ideal for a core block only solution as when you take the cooler apart the core heat sink separates nicely from the aluminimm full cover heatsink which cools the ram and vrms

See http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/3/ third image down.

This means you can simply leave that in place and not bother with separate copper sinks for the ram and vrms. This is the ideal scenario when using a core only water block. It will cool these chips and also help to prevent the card bending which is sometimes a problem with core only blocks.

I guess the Swiftech MCW60 will also cover the IHS and I assume there will be mounting hardware made to fit the GTX480, although I personally made my own plate on the GTX280.

The above said though, I'm still going to give this gcard iteration a miss, hopefully Nvidia will sort out the short comings, but keep the cooler fitting ddesign.

Associate
Is aquacomputer relatively new to the WC scene?

aqua link not working...

bitspower looks clean, however koolance one is just PIMPIN!

No not at all, they are very big in Europe. I also love their GPU blocks... excellent quality and a joy to install. When their block comes out I'll be ordering a couple and taking the plunge.

Soldato
I have an EK block already on preorder. Lets hope the EK block and Asus card turns up soon.

i gave up on the ASUS order and went with a Palit 470 instead, and of course needed a waterblock,

EK have sorted me right out, god bless them :D

ekwaterblockorder.jpg

Associate
i gave up on the ASUS order and went with a Palit 470 instead, and of course needed a waterblock,

EK have sorted me right out, god bless them :D

ekwaterblockorder.jpg

Hi, I currently have 2x of these Palit cards - I've been meaning to stick a waterblock on them, but everywhere I look says these are not compatible due to being not a reference implementation.

What was your experience in sticking the blocks onto your palit 470?

Back
Top Bottom