£1500 Gaming & General Purpose Spec - Advice Needed!

Soldato
the gigabyte is a better overclocker than a £235 asus P6X58D premium.

in the custom pc round up, the gigabyte was achieving better benchmark scores.
Yea. With the i7-980X Extreme Edition at 4.4GHz:
Asus P6X58D Premium media benchmark: 2,578
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R media benchmark: 2,624

HD5870, Win7 64-bit, Crysis DX10 1680x1050, high detail settings:
Asus P6X58D Premium minimum frame rate: 37fps
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R minimum frame rate: 42fps

And then there's the issue of the extra controllers on the Asus P6X58D Premium causing longer boot time, and SATA ports being not particularly fast.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello again :) - thought I should do a quick follow-up post on my system now that it's up and running today. To save anyone traling through the whole thread, here's the spec I ordered (got fed up waiting for the reference Asus 5850 to come into stock, so got the DirectCU version instead):

purchspec.jpg

Also, I can't praise OcUK enough for their service. No mistakes, replied to my emails politely, and sent the order out super-quick!

Everything is currently stock. Build went fine, and worked perfectly from the first switch on (sorry I don't have any pics - it's under the desk and late at night). In the BIOS, the CPU idles between 30-32C, the Northbridge around 40C. Just ran Prime95 while watching the core temps, and none went over 54C. More importantly, Live for Speed with a full (20 car) grid, max detail at 1920x1080 with 8x AA and 16x AF never even goes below 60FPS :).

Thanks once again to you all for your component suggestions, and to OcUK for their excellent service :D.

Soldato
**EDIT** DOH didn't see there was a 2nd page!

You ditched the dominator ram which is exactly what I wrote here... Now overclock that CPU to 3.8/4Ghz and enjoy the £600 extra of power you get out of it.

Atleast you're futureproofed for a few years? Graphics card might need an update... but that is a solid build.

Back
Top Bottom