BBQ Recipes! Post them here!

Soldato
All this talk of BBQ sauce and homemade drum BBQ's has got me quite excited about the summer. We had our first one yesterday, just a simple burgers and steak affair. YUM.

So, this is a place for any awesome recipes/tips and techniques you guys have!

Post away!

I'll kick it off with a yummy pudding.

Chocolate Banana Thing!

1. Get a banana.

2. Still in skin, cut a slit down the length of it.

3. Jam as much squares of chocolate as you can down the length of the slit (oooh err)

4. Put it on BBQ, chocolate side up of coarse, and let it get all gooey and yum. No need to wrap it in foil, the skin protects it.

5. Eat out the skin with a teaspoon.

Soldato
I'll quote my post from another thread. Not exactly a recipe, but a method.

I can't stand seeing these steaks pan-fried, so here's my go:

1) Take your 14 - 18 oz. New York Strip steaks. As everyone else, add a pinch of sea-salt and pepper to each side. Add a splash of Worchestershire sauce (do not marinade!) and garlic if desired.

100_1460.jpg

2) Allow steaks to sit while bringing grill up to temperature. Keep the lid closed and keep at high heat until no more smoke comes off. Hit gently with a wire brush.

100_1461.jpg

3) Place steaks at 45-degree angles to the iron.

100_1462.jpg

4) Leaving lid open, grill on HIGH heat for 4 - 6 minutes or until meat no longer sticks to the grill.

100_1463.jpg

5) Flip steaks in same position, maintaining the 45-degree angle to the iron.

100_1464.jpg

6) Again, 4 - 6 minutes with lid open on high heat. We should just start to see the fat dripping off the sides now.

100_1465.jpg

100_1466.jpg

7) Flip steaks again, this time switching positions of the steaks and rotating 90-degrees from original position. This will define the "diamond" pattern grill marks and also ensure both steaks don't have "hot spots".

100_1469.jpg

8) Decision: Rare meat - medium rare, leave lid open. Medium - medium well, close lid. In this case we're going for rare (lid open).

Allow to cook for about 1/2 the time it took to do the initial turns, then flip steaks, close lid, and turn grill OFF.

100_1470.jpg

Don't worry, they will still cook inside the grill for a few minutes as the fat drips off and catches flame on its own.

100_1471.jpg

10) Remove from heat and allow to sit while the rest of the dish is being prepared.

100_1472.jpg

11) Carve in and decide if they're done enough or not.

100_1473.jpg

12) Get a healthy dose of mashed spuds and serve up!

100_1477.jpg

Enjoy!

Soldato
Pffft, stupid gas bbq!

Sweet, spicey, sticky chicken.

Mix honey, 5chinese spice and a bit of lemon, leave it to marinade over chicken. Cook.

There also like a pork dish my auntie/dad does, it's like port and hoisin sauce again marinaded, but no that sure.

Soldato
Main

Butterflied BBQ leg of lamb.

Get leg of lamb (de-boned ideally, or take the bone out) and cut so it butterflies open flat.

Marinade with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and oregano overnight.

Grill on high heat until sealed on each side, then low heat for an hour or so with the lid on till cooked.

Baste fairly regularly with the remaining marinade to stop from drying out.

Slice n serve.

Dessert

Slice pineapple into thick slices about 3/4 of an inch. Sprinkle with brown sugar and grill till hot right through. Nom

Last edited:
Associate
Chilli Cheese Burger

1) Get an onion grate finely into a bowl so its like mash
2) Add mince (lamb or beef)
3) Add 1 egg per pack of mince
4) Add some flour not too much
5) Add some chilli and/or grated cheese
6) Get messy and mix that stuff with your hands, roll it into a big ball put it in the fridge for an hour or two

7) Hand Roll mixture into smaller burgers, I like em chunky some like em thin up to you.
8) Cook
9) Eat (I like them with some turkish bread as my "bun")

Associate
Easy "Taco" burgers

This has been a favourite of mine for a couple of years now as it's so easy to make a really nice tasty burger with fresh decent meat and some nice flavours to it. Helps if you like old el paso though I guess.

500g Beef mince
1 Pack of Old El Paso taco spice mix
1 Medium/Large onion diced as small as you can manage

Mix it all thogether, be prepared for your hands turning orange from the spice and split into about 4-5 balls and press out into patties.

I cheat and mash a good amount into a cookie/pastry cutter to get the desired shape and consistant quantity per burger.

Slap em on the bbq for about the same time you would any other fresh burger.

Soldato
1. Take desired number of fillet steaks
2. Season with salt, pepper and garlic
3. Place on high heat grill for a fraction of a millisecond each side (or up to 30 seconds if you're one of them there nancy boys) :p
4. Nom nom nom*

*Top Tip - Wear a scoop bib to preserve your tshirt from the blood dribbling from the steak, collect in a glass and enjoy as a tasty accompanying beverage.

Soldato
OP
Right... Another treat for you lot.

All these look yum, but they're very meaty;) So here's a side to go along with the burgers...

Rosemary potatoes

This is too easy, and pretty much the best thing you can have with your burgers along with a fresh salad.

Firstly, get a load of potatoes. New would be best, but whatever you've got.

Cube them up in to 1-2cm pieces.

Get a large piece of tin foil and place the potatoes in the centre, I'm thinking a pile of potatoes about the size of a couple of tins of beer (I'm assuming you've got a few of these around;) no bbq is complete without...)

Season and put a big blob of butter on top, maybe 1/3 of a block. (Butter, NOT marge)

Finally put loads of rosemary on top, maybe 5-10 sprigs. If you don't have a bush in your garden, get one. They're ace.

Now bring the sides of the foil up and fold over so it's sealed (hope it was big enough). Don't wrap tight, keep it loose so the air can circulate around, bit like a cornish pasty:)

Cooking:
Here's the good bit, put the parcel on the bbq when you light it. When the coals are ready and your foods coming off, the potatoes should be ready (30-40 mins or so, take a peek to see if they're done).

You should have a mixture of crispy and steamed potatoes, yummy and buttery and rosemaryey. DO IT!

Soldato
Get some whole mackerel, slash the skin a few times and rub in a bit of salt then sprinkle with lemon. 3-4 minutes a side should do it.

Sprinkle cajun spices on some chicken wings and cook for 10-12 minutes turning every few minutes, simples.

Man of Honour
BBQ always means BBQ sauce, satay sauce, potato salad and flat breads.

BBQ sauce
1 onion
1 can chopped tomatoes
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcester sauce
1 tablespoon treacle

fry onion, throw in rest and reduce. You may need to add more tomatoes depends how strong/reduced you want it.

Satay
1 jar crunchy peanut butter
1/3rd pack creamed coconut
2 tablespoons lime juice
touch of honey
chilli powder/fresh to taste
1 jar of water

chuck in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When it starts to boil it will suddenly thicken. Add more water/reduce to requires consitency.

Potato salad
3/4 kilo potatoes
4 or 5 eggs
mayonnaise
garlic salt
onion granulas
celery salt
aromatic
chives(optional)

flat breads
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons natural youghurt
about 1/2 pint of water

mix flour, oil and youghurt together, slowly add enough water to form a dough. Kneed fir 10 minutes or untill smooth and elastic. Leave for 30 minutes to relax. Rip off golf ball sized chuncks and roll out thinly. Cook on BBQ for a minute or two a side.

I like honey and ginger chicken.
Take chicken thighs and score the skin several times.aronadr in honey, Ginger, lemon juice, soy sauce.

cook potatos and eggs, allow to cool. Peel both and roughly dice. Mix in rest of infrediants to taste

Soldato
OP
Just cos I made this the other day... It's another great accompanyment:) Serve with the potatoes above...

Tabbouleh

This will serve 10+ people at a bbq

You need a pack of bulgar wheat (500g, can get from world foods aisle in supermarket)
1 cucumber
bunch of spring onion
4 beef tomatoes
1 lemon
large bunch of parsley
large bunch of mint (get both these from your local indian supermarket if you want to save some money, cost me about 60p each for two bunches the size of my head)
salt+pepper

First, soak the wheat in cold water for 20 mins, then drain into a teatowel and wring out so its dry.

Chuck it into a big bowl and mix with finely chopped spring onions, juice of one lemon, chopped skin of lemon, finely chopped cucumber, finely chopped parsley (lots), finely chopped mint (lots), salt and pepper.

Put this is the fridge and in the meantime, score a cross in the bottom of the tomatoes and soak in boiling water for a minute. Remove tomatoes and peel the skin, then chop finely, removing seeds as you go.

Add to the wheat mixture with a good glug of olive oil and you're done! Lovely fresh salad for summer.

Here's a pic I found on the net...

tabbouleh1145.jpg

Back
Top Bottom