• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 5850 DirectCU 2 slot or 3 slot card?

Associate
I only have room for a dual slot card in my current case, and i'm in need of another 5850 to run in crossfire and wondering if this card takes up 2 or 3 slots inside the case??

Associate
Umm, I just got mine. I'd say it's 2 slots. Maybe protudes a little into a 3rd slot but it's hard to tell because it's not jsut a rectangular cooler.

It's also worth noting I thought it looked kinda ugly in the pictures but in the flesh it looks pretty cool.

Soldato
I would say 2 slot.

card3small.jpg

Associate
OP
Hows the fan noise? my normal asus 5850 gets kinda loud when gaming so will need a aftermarket cooler for it eventually. Mine is overclocked to 1009mhz tho :)

Associate
Hows the fan noise? my normal asus 5850 gets kinda loud when gaming so will need a aftermarket cooler for it eventually. Mine is overclocked to 1009mhz tho :)

What voltage is that at?

Problem with this card is I can't seem to change the voltage using msi afterburner so i have to use the software thats comes with it and that caps at 900 core.

Associate
OP
Its at 1.3Vcore using Asus SmartDoctor.
Not sure if I can use SmartDoctor when going crossfire tho?
I'm getting nice temps on bfbc2/ AvP etc the standard cooler works pretty well its a shame it makes so much noise!

Associate
Oh, smart doctor is the software that came with mine. I can only go up to 900 core though. Did yo use catalyst for the clocks and doctor for the volts or something?

Associate
OP
All I have used to overclock the card is SmartDoctor. I downloaded the latest version from Asus. The max my SmartDoctor will clock to is 1200mhz...

Associate
All I have used to overclock the card is SmartDoctor. I downloaded the latest version from Asus. The max my SmartDoctor will clock to is 1200mhz...

Oh good point, I just installed the one off the disc. I'll try the one from the site.

Edit: Downloaded the latest version from the support site but still limited to 900 core.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh good point, I just installed the one off the disc. I'll try the one from the site.

Edit: Downloaded the latest version from the support site but still limited to 900 core.

Heh Boozebeard, did u reach 900 core on default volts? My old reference card was just shy of been stable at 900 on stock volts. Got another Asus 5850 for some crossfire but this time its the directcu model. 850 seems fine (30 loops of crysis) and just done 875 with 3 loops of crysis. Hoping to hit least 900 so that not going to lag behind my old card when crossfire overclock.

Really dont want to use smartdoctor and already quiered using msi afterburner with this card but does not seem to have voltage support. Although i have had a reply to try something but going to see what stable through msi using stock volts.

Associate
Heh Boozebeard, did u reach 900 core on default volts? My old reference card was just shy of been stable at 900 on stock volts. Got another Asus 5850 for some crossfire but this time its the directcu model. 850 seems fine (30 loops of crysis) and just done 875 with 3 loops of crysis. Hoping to hit least 900 so that not going to lag behind my old card when crossfire overclock.

Really dont want to use smartdoctor and already quiered using msi afterburner with this card but does not seem to have voltage support. Although i have had a reply to try something but going to see what stable through msi using stock volts.

My card is being really weird. Well mainly bad company is. I can play crysis warhead on stock volts at 900 core with no artifacts but I cant play battlefield on 1.2 volts at 550 core and 750 mem. Get black squares flashing all over the place. :confused:

Associate
My card is being really weird. Well mainly bad company is. I can play crysis warhead on stock volts at 900 core with no artifacts but I cant play battlefield on 1.2 volts at 550 core and 750 mem. Get black squares flashing all over the place. :confused:

Dam card seems like it may even struggle compared to my reference card when it comes to overclocking. Nothing like paying more and getting less :)

Wow! comical. Asus software does it again. Instal the smartdocter that came with card (so i can play with voltage). core limited to 900mhz! Advertising the voltage tweak but forgets to add that its impossible to reach the "50%" faster claimed as its limited to 900mhz. Try the latest smartdoctor on the internet, still limited to 900mhz like u boozebeard. Wonder if our cards are duds! Or maybe need to instal gamerosd as well (only installed smartdocter)

Even my reference card came with software which im sure allowed 1200mhz or so. Will have to try that. Absolute useless asus are when it comes to software, wonder if this one allows tesselation to even work if smartdoctor used.

EDIT: Nope, tried 3 versions of smartdoctor, all limited to 900mhz. How can this be? *ARGH!*

Last edited:
Soldato
My card came today. I can clock it up to 1200 core in CCC. Haven't bothered to fiddle with voltages yet but it clock to 875/1125. It should be noted that the 5850 Cu is a reference card, just with a better cooler.

Associate
My card came today. I can clock it up to 1200 core in CCC. Haven't bothered to fiddle with voltages yet but it clock to 875/1125. It should be noted that the 5850 Cu is a reference card, just with a better cooler.

Think my core maybe limited to 875mhz on default (which is slithly higher volts than my old reference design as well). I dont understand why the main asus software is limited when it blatantly advertises speeds in excess oif what it can possible do using the software provided. The reference card software didnt have this limit. I hope a new update comes out sharpsih which fixes it.

Associate
Think my core maybe limited to 875mhz on default (which is slithly higher volts than my old reference design as well). I dont understand why the main asus software is limited when it blatantly advertises speeds in excess oif what it can possible do using the software provided. The reference card software didnt have this limit. I hope a new update comes out sharpsih which fixes it.

I think what might work is setting the voltage in smart doctor applying the overclock. then increase the clock speeds in CCC and apply that.

I really don't know what bad company's problem is. I just ran the Heaven benchmark for half an hour with 900 core on stock volts and no problems what so ever. But certain levels on bad company give me artifacts immediatley no matter what I set my speeds and volts too. :confused:

Associate
I think what might work is setting the voltage in smart doctor applying the overclock. then increase the clock speeds in CCC and apply that.

I really don't know what bad company's problem is. I just ran the Heaven benchmark for half an hour with 900 core on stock volts and no problems what so ever. But certain levels on bad company give me artifacts immediatley no matter what I set my speeds and volts too. :confused:

Tried that didnt work but....

Found if i use smartdoctor to increase voltage and i used MSI afterburner for clocks....WORKS!!!!

EDIT: I assume it does because 915 worked on furmark when i got artifacts at 900 before with default volts. But on msi u cannot monitor volts, however smartdoctor relays the voltage i select. EDIT EDIT: Smartdoctor register core speed from msi afterburner.

Last edited:
Associate
hhmmm, disappointgly my new supposidly cooler 5850directcu seems to get hotter than my reference design, or maybe its just furmark related. ill try a game instead.

Associate
I just played badcompany multi for an hour and it was fine. It seems it's only some single player maps it doesn't like and freaks out on.

However i was getting some random flickerings in menues and I get them on my desktop as well if i like maximise a window or change windows or someithn like that. Dunno what could be causing it.

My card seems pretty stable at 900 core stock vaults which is neat. I'll try upping it tomorrow with afterburner.

Associate
I just played badcompany multi for an hour and it was fine. It seems it's only some single player maps it doesn't like and freaks out on.

However i was getting some random flickerings in menues and I get them on my desktop as well if i like maximise a window or change windows or someithn like that. Dunno what could be causing it.

My card seems pretty stable at 900 core stock vaults which is neat. I'll try upping it tomorrow with afterburner.

The cooler is pretty quiet compared to last one, maybe could leave it on 100% and still be quieter than the reference cooler on 40%. I found that furmark really heats up this card like crazy but playing games (inc testin crysis) seem like they maybe fine. Just tried 980 core with 1.25v. Needed 1.262v to get ref card at 1000mhz stable. Think that 1.25v is more than needed so luckily clocking the same on core. Will throw them in for some crossfire, dont know how it will all work though overclocking two gpus with 2 bits of software :(. I really hope msi bring out another update than can do both designs.

Good luck tomorrow boozebeard.

Associate
OP
Hmmmn got me worried about buying a DirectCu version now... think I might wait.
Maybe a bios flash on ur DirectCu 5850's is needed to the standard Asus 5850?

Is anyone trying crossfire? is there a way to overclock both cards as I dont see a option on SmartDoctor for that?

Back
Top Bottom