Upgrading VERY old system...

Associate
Hi Peeps,

As I have my nice new system, my old one is now sitting unused - I had the thought that as it's now 'gathering dust' that I could use it to LAN the odd older game if the gf wanted a go or I had a mate round...

It's currently running:
(Mobo unknown, part of an HP pre-build circa 2001)
P4 2.6ghz (best capable)
2GB DDR memory (max capable)
250W PSU
X1950pro (originally upgraded from 9200)

It's not bad - it runs M2:TW at medium settings.

Basically; If I were to get a bigger PSU and another X1950 would it get bottlenecked by the P4? Was hoping to be able to go from 256 to 512mb graphics...

I've looked around and a 400W PSU + a second hand 1950 would be about £40-£45. Would it even be worth it?

Last edited:
Associate
I think it would probably bottle neck, do you know what socket the CPU is? should be 478 or 775 I think. If it was 775 you could get a used dual core (maybe an e5300) then get a better GPU. (Trouble is you almost certainly need a new PSU then)

Associate
If you can't find a decent way to upgrade it, maybe find some cheap / free / awesome old games it can easily handle u can both play? bolo? heh. Save yourself some £ throwing it down the AGP black hole, save up for a new baby rig, and downgrade it to a media server later in its life?
Speaking from experience as i've upgraded old machines before, and ended up regretting it because i could get a semi new pc for almost the same..

Associate
OP
I think it would probably bottle neck, do you know what socket the CPU is? should be 478 or 775 I think. If it was 775 you could get a used dual core (maybe an e5300) then get a better GPU. (Trouble is you almost certainly need a new PSU then)

Hadn't thought of that! I'll check that out... I hope it is, it'd be much more worth it.

If you can't find a decent way to upgrade it, maybe find some cheap / free / awesome old games it can easily handle u can both play? bolo? heh. Save yourself some £ throwing it down the AGP black hole, save up for a new baby rig, and downgrade it to a media server later in its life?

Yeah, I was thinking older games :)
Will see how it goes. If it doesn't seem worth the money then I'll check out the baby rig idea.

Back
Top Bottom