Macbook Pro - buy now, or wait?

Associate
Apple have sent me my invoice dated the 16th April, but I still havent received my Macbook Pro, and estimated delivery has moved to 5th May.

From a warranty perspective does anyone know when my warranty actually starts?

THanks

Meds

Soldato
Apple have sent me my invoice dated the 16th April, but I still havent received my Macbook Pro, and estimated delivery has moved to 5th May.

From a warranty perspective does anyone know when my warranty actually starts?

I received an e-mail containing the AppleCare details. My AppleCare seems to start from the 16th April despite the delivery date estimated at 5th May.

I guess I'll kick up a stink if my new MBP fails between 17th April 2013 and 5th May 2013. :p

Soldato
Question to anyone that's got one yet

I've just been reading http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/macbook-pros-with-nvidia-geforce-gt-330m-silicon-making-question/ and the edited highlights are that some applications have issues with switching between the integrated Intel HD graphics and the proper GeForce GT 330M (applications only using the rubbish Intel when they could do with the proper Nvidia, applications that don't need the Nvidia using it anyways, applications forgetting to turn off the Nvida when they're done etc.)

I assume that this is an OS X bug, and that Apple will soon release a update to fix it.

But it got me thinking....

What about your Windows Bootcamp partition? Or your Windows/Linux VMs?

Anyone that’s got one yet and put Windows on it want to comment? As, in theory, it should use the integrated Intel usually and then go to the Nvida when you open up a game or something and then turn it off afterwards. But if OS X can’t do it right I’m doubtful as to whether Windows can do it.... and I can just imagine someone putting a Windows Bootcamp partition on to play their games and then find they can only use the rubbish integrated Intel graphics!

Associate
I've read that with the bootcamp partition, the graphics stays on the 330M, and there's no graphics switching available. This was the case with the previous MBPs.

Associate
Just had a play on the 17" hi-res i7 model in the Liverpool store. WANT does not justify how I'm feeling right now, do I really need a 17" display though, decisions, decisions...

Soldato
Mine's now on its way from Korea, as is my mate's 17" :) Hoping that I might just get it tomorrow so I can have a play with it on Sunday (out gigging tomorrow night and Saturday!).

arty

EDIT - OK, I clearly jinxed it. It's now stuck in Germany after going via Poland. Mad! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Grr am so tempted to get one now...

Have talked myself into going to look at them in the shops tomorrow, and then order online with the HE discount.

Thinking of the base 15" model, and i'm unsure whether I should upgrade to the SSD yet. It will likely become my main machine, and I will look into turning my current pc into a server/download box.

Oh the decisions!

Soldato
Thinking of the base 15" model, and i'm unsure whether I should upgrade to the SSD yet. It will likely become my main machine, and I will look into turning my current pc into a server/download box.

The base model 15" is a good choice. If you do upgrade to a SSD I would suggest not doing it through apple. They are using Toshiba drives which aren't the greatest.

Soldato
Dear Tunney,

European air traffic is returning to normal levels of service.
We are happy to advise that your order should be delivered next week.
We will contact you with more specific delivery information as it becomes available.

Kind regards,
Apple Online Store Support

Yay! :D

Soldato
Mine has made it to the UK - East Midlands Airport. Does anyone happen to know whether they will try to delivery it tomorrow from there, given it that it arrived there in the early hours of yesterday morning? I could do with knowing before tomorrow morning so I know whether I can go out :)

arty

Soldato
Currently scrapped my plans for a base 15". Far too much to spend on what is basically now a machine that barely gets used and when it does the 13" would be too small.

So i've bought a 7D instead :p

Soldato
Mine turned up this morning. It is very nice - seems extremely quick so far; iWork installed in like 2 minutes flat. Logic Studio is taking a little longer, but then again it is on something like 8 DVDs :p

The unibody keyboard is really very good, I must say. I've never used one for any length of time but typing on my new laptop is incredibly similar to typing on my standalone Apple keyboard. Very impressive :)

arty

Caporegime
thats the 13" base?

all good so far?

i'm going for that one soon
Yeah seems pretty good - not really had much time with it though - need to bootcamp and dual boot Win 7 HP this week for her...

Feels wierd as OSX is totally new to me - just getting my head round it...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom