Help needed on my first ever pc

Associate
Hey i was wondering if you kind people could help me get some components sorted out for a pc build.
For my birthday my dads just bought me two ATI HD5870.
But as far as that, i really not sure on the other components that would go with that.
am in need of everything. :)

Soldato
**** ! Need a system board that supports Cross Fire for a start! Then a decent chip such as the i3 or i5 and 4GB RAM. You would be better with one 5870 and using the extra money to fund a system bundle from OCuK.

Soldato
Not at all - I would give my right arm to have two of them cards mate. It's just you normally start with a system board that can handle two cards (Cross Fire) and go from there but it's no big deal. Wish my Dad bought me them sort of things :) An i3 system Overclocked would be money better spent. Im still using old Tech by today's standards so I will let someone using that socket type spec you a machine.

Associate
What is the budget for the rest of the components?

And do you have a keyboard, mouse or monitor already?

Do you have any other needs for the PC apart from gaming?

I will try to spec you something if you can answer me these.

Associate
OP
Ive been looking after my dad for some years now as his disabled. ive no mum so am all his got. i think it was his way of saying thank you for looking after me and giving up so much of you time for your old man. Am in need of everything but got a old logitech g15 blue. my dad said i could still use the down stairs tv till i sort out a monitor it's a plasma don't know the specs. Budgets about 1000-1500. but if needs be i could go to 2grand. am a mad gamer have a ps3 and 360 but looking for a gaming monster that will eat games for breakfast. would it be silly got go for three 5870???
Just got this old laptop with windows vista 64 on it. so might use that disk.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been looking after my dad for some years now as his disabled. ive no mum so am all his got. i think it was his way of saying thank you for looking after me and giving up so much of you time for your old man. Am in need of everything but got a old logitech g15 blue. my dad said i could still use the down stairs tv till i sort out a monitor it's a plasma don't know the specs. Budgets about 1000-1500. but if needs be i could go to 2grand. am a mad gamer have a ps3 and 360 but looking for a gaming monster that will eat games for breakfast. would it be silly got go for three 5870???

For 1.5k I would go for a i7 930 OC'ed to 4 GHZ; but for 2k I'd go for a 780x.

Soldato
Do you know what the brand/model name/number of the TV is? If its an HD ready one, then you may as well use some of your budget to buy a nice gaming monitor - but if its 1080p then is probably sticking with it.

Soldato

I have a lot of respect for you looking after your Dad and I hope you get a great gaming PC (which you will when the rest of the board comes online).
You have the basis of a cracking machine regardless :)

Soldato
i7 930 or one of the new AMD 6 cores would probably be best. I wouldn't think about anything slower as with CF 5870s you'll be wanting to future proof as much as possible?

Also I'd definately get an SSD, I hear it makes massive differences to higher end systems, even mine is HDD limited and it's a pretty decent one.

Associate
How about this?

build1.png

Soldato
Originally Posted by Darkwolf441

much repsect mate. you'll have no problems getting exactly what you need here

Soldato
+1 for Ryan's spec.

with the 2 5870's, would make a pretty power gaming pc that should last a long time

very simlar spec to what i have, except the gpu's

Soldato
Yeah it would be silly to go with three, right now there is no game that two 5870's won't be able to devour, even in 3d (with appropriate monitors obv.). The only one that could potentially push them would be Crysis 2, and if that is as poorly optimised as the original crysis, adding another 5870 won't do you any good. Especially on a 1-2k budget.

I'll put something together, it'll pretty much be my spec, but obviously without the graphics card, monitor, speakers and keyboard etc. as you already have those.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can look at the following topic for some reference:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18137663

And no...don't go for the Asus P6X58D Premium. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R is better choice and at around £100 cheaper. And it is also 3-way Crossfire/SLI certified.
Yea. With the i7-980X Extreme Edition at 4.4GHz:
Asus P6X58D Premium media benchmark: 2,578
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R media benchmark: 2,624

HD5870, Win7 64-bit, Crysis DX10 1680x1050, high detail settings:
Asus P6X58D Premium minimum frame rate: 37fps
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R minimum frame rate: 42fps

And then there's the issue of the extra controllers on the Asus P6X58D Premium causing longer boot time, and SATA ports being not particularly fast.
Source: Custom PC Issue 081 June 2010

Ryan111's build seem fine, but need to add a decent CPU cooler and get some MX-3 thermal paste. Also, I'm not too sure about the Geil memory...think there has been quite a few people having issues with this brand's memory...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom