Moon miles Pug 206 temp issue. (lack of temp)

Soldato
Hi there,

My girlfriend has a T reg, 1.4 206, with 150k on the clock. It had a front end crash before she got it for £300. Bargain (maybe), however i noted one cold night in Feb, that the temp gauge never went above 70 on the move. But seemed to move up to 90c (after a while) when stationary without the heater blower on. This i believe is just down to a bad thermostat allowing coolant to constantly pass through radiator?

Second issue is that Radiator. The car is suffering from a leak from somewhere, either burning it (no smoke) or leaking, and i believe the radiator maybe the problem so i need to get one from the scrap yard.

One thing Ive noticed when putting cheap coolant into the car (since it lasts about a month) is that the return fed to the header tank never passes fluid into the header tank, maybe because the rad isn't full of fluid, or maybe because the thermostat is stuck open? On all cars Ive owned if you rev it extra fluid is forced up this tube.

Basically I'm wondering what to do, and if my diagnostics is right?

ta

Last edited:
Soldato
A thermostat issue causing lack of temp on the old blowers would be a pretty sound bet.

Could you have some air in the system considering it gets filled so often?

Last edited:
Associate
At 150k I'd have suspected head gasket personally, but really you need to take it into a garage you trust and get them to look over it for you.

Soldato
OP
The previous owner removed the thermostat to delay the effects of a leaking headgasket.

is that something people can do? i am a little worried about the Head Gasket failure lurking under these symptoms. its had its cam belt changed @ 115k so is due another already?

If the rad is leaking you should ably to tell, it is white and crusty anywhere? Is it wet?

As for the temperature, you're almost certainly correct to suspect the stat.

Ive not noticed any white crusty bits anywhere, but the tray the rad sits on was wet the other day, but isnt always wet. I orignally thought it had HGF but when i saw a wet path near the rad i was hoping it was "just" that, however it hasnt leaked since so i dunno.

Ill have to try and find a Stat for it, and how/where to fit it. Tried a few google links but im unsure where it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right, thanks for that photo, I've found it now. Head Gasket looks like it might be a possible problem. There isn't oil in the water, or mayo on the oil filler but there is quiet a large deposit of oily gunk below where the PAS filler point is which "flows" all the way to the underside of the engine. Ive cleaned this all up so will see if any new oil comes out from there.

Even when sitting still any amount of heater blowers on in the car will cause the temp to drop fast, this really isn't normal. Plus the car take AGES to warm up when its still.

Ordering a thermostat will see how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom