Does anyone else notice this...

Soldato
It's some sort of illusion, not optical but with touch. I've only ever noticed it when lying awake at night unable to sleep, which is rare in itself for me.

It's where suddenly everything about me and my surroundings feels heavier and thicker. Your lip feels an inch thick if you bite it, and your fingers feel like the size and squishiness of sausages. But if you sit up or switch a light on, everything is normal again.

Anyone else? It can't just be me.

Soldato
I have been getting this since I was a kid!

I also sometimes get the feeling when I am lying in bed that I have shrunk, and everything around feels smaller than it is usually.

I get both opposites quite often.

There must be some medical term for this.

Soldato
When trying to get to sleep I sometimes feel like I'm sinking into blackness. My vision darkens (even at night with eyes closed, it's like adjusting the contrast/brightness on a TV or something), my muscles relax, and I either feel bigger and heavier or smaller and light. Usually only happens when I'm VERY tired but having trouble sleeping, maybe it's a sign that sleep is close! Moving more than a few inches, or turning a light on, etc, returns me to normal. I kind of like it though...

Soldato
When trying to get to sleep I sometimes feel like I'm sinking into blackness. My vision darkens (even at night with eyes closed, it's like adjusting the contrast/brightness on a TV or something), my muscles relax, and I either feel bigger and heavier or smaller and light. Usually only happens when I'm VERY tired but having trouble sleeping, maybe it's a sign that sleep is close! Moving more than a few inches, or turning a light on, etc, returns me to normal. I kind of like it though...

Snap

I sometimes have a feeling of weightlessness and fall down the stairs at my grandparents house as well. Or tied to a bed and the bed is spinning around in some kind of vortex.

Soldato
theres probably a name for it,

I get alice in wonderland syndrome, everything around me gets either farther away or really big. For me it happens in dark areas, when im well rested or when im sleepy. Mostly when I'm lay in bed. Never happens in the day time.

It can happen sometimes when im reading a wall of text on my pc though, or a book, the text will grow and grow untill I snap myself out of it.

It freaks me out sometimes :/

Soldato
I take it you have all had that thing where you are just about to fall asleep and are kind of dreaming but in that dream you trip or fall over and you kick out and wake yourself up?

Soldato
I've had the strange sense that things were much bigger than normal, only rarely happens if i kind of zone out long enough while watching tv or something.

Caporegime
I have been getting this since I was a kid!

I also sometimes get the feeling when I am lying in bed that I have shrunk, and everything around feels smaller than it is usually.

I get both opposites quite often.

There must be some medical term for this.

I used to get that quite a lot as a kid actually, sometimes going between shrinking/falling and suddenly growing massive. I don't think I ever felt like individual parts of my body getting bigger or smaller, just me in proportion to the rest of the room. Very odd sensation and i'd completely forgotten about it until this thread.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I used to get that quite a lot as a kid actually, sometimes going between shrinking/falling and suddenly growing massive. I don't think I ever felt like individual parts of my body getting bigger or smaller, just me in proportion to the rest of the room. Very odd sensation and i'd completely forgotten about it until this thread.

I was just about to post about that perspective thing. Used to get it a lot as a kidd too; one time I'd feel like a giant and the next, incredibly small.

I completely forgot about it until a year or so ago when I experienced it again.

Back
Top Bottom