i7 920 Overclocking Results with Mugen Cooler!

Associate
These are my results. Seem a bit on the hot side to me. Do they look right?

fan: Q-FAN TURBO
cpu: AUTO TURBO
resulting idle temp: 38
resulting load temp (prime95): 54

fan: Q-FAN DISABLED
cpu: AUTO TURBO
resulting idle temp: 34
resulting load temp (prime95): 54

cpu: 150 (3 Ghz)
resulting idle temp: 37
resulting load temp (prime95): 56

cpu: 160 (3.2Ghz)
resulting idle temp: 46
resulting load temp (prime95): 80

cpu: 180 (3.6Ghz)
resulting idle temp: 51
resulting load temp (prime95): 94

cpu: 190 (3.8Ghz)
resulting idle temp: 59
resulting load temp (prime95): 95

resulting idle temp: 62

Specs:
i7 920
ASUS P6T SE

Associate
cpu: 160 (3.2Ghz)
resulting idle temp: 46
resulting load temp (prime95): 80

cpu: 180 (3.6Ghz)
resulting idle temp: 51
resulting load temp (prime95): 94

resulting idle temp: 59

resulting idle temp: 62

These look hot to me, if my chip was that toasty under prime and idling at 60c plus I would be concerned (But they are within safe limits, just). It would help to know the volts you are putting through your chip. I am guessing you are raising that incrementally as you are the blck.

A quick search of this forum and a browse through the CPU forum ******** Official i7 overclocking thread ******** would confirm that those temps seem high. (Always good to compare your experience to those have taken the time post and share). I would start around page 13 (maybe a bit earlier) and scan-read through.

Others will also suggest that perhaps you might want to try reseating your mugen..?

Myself I am wondering if you have left some motherboard settings on auto in the bios. Maybe posting a screenie of cpuz would help.

As quick comparison for you.

screenied.jpg

Associate
Temps seem too hIGH.
This could be because vcore is too high!!!
The cooler is not mounted properly!!!
You may have used too much thermal compound!!!

More info needed to narrow down your problem

Associate
OP
Temps seem too hIGH.
This could be because vcore is too high!!!
The cooler is not mounted properly!!!
You may have used too much thermal compound!!!

More info needed to narrow down your problem

Thanks the_electrician,

I can't find the "vcore" setting anywhere, here are pics of the BIOS:
mg2265.jpg

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/5166/mg2265.jpg

mg2266.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6170/mg2266.jpg

I have just removed some thermal paste and re-seated the Mugen cooler just to be sure. Still getting pretty much the same temps, not able to get anywhere near 4Ghz.

Last edited:
Associate
my system runs hot also but i'm 87 max on core 0 and 82 max on 24 hours of prime 95.. i think my H50 is defective since i'm even running it with artic 5 on ... no matter going for custom water cooling myself just buying it abit at a time along with a new corsair 800D.. i don't like thease predone sealed units or Air give back vapochill LS.

Soldato
Well 1.35v is pretty high. Theres no way my Mega would hold 1.35v load but i have a warm chip. Do Asus have any software that shows all the voltages in windows like gigabyte easytune?

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Well I set the fan to TURBO and then disabled the auto-fan settings, at now I get these results:

CPU: 4Ghz
Idle: 45 degrees
Prime 95: 85 degrees

In Prime 95, previously I was using the heat torture test. This time, I used the bottom check point (blend something or other), which it handles a lot cooler.

Also, something that no one has mentioned so far, apparently it varies a lot from monitor to monitor. I was using RealTemp to guage the CPU temperature. Now I've just downloaded the ASUS PC Probe software for the motherboard, it's displaying temperatures as much as 20 degrees lower.

Last edited:
Associate
i'm on try booting it n test @ 1.270 and turn you're QPI off auto set it to the lowest (36 i think on that board) you shouldnt have anything set on auto.

Associate
lol you have speedstep off because it's bad for Oc'ing but you're running everything on auto and could overvolt the Cpu and kill everything.. /bonk on head.

Associate
OP
you shouldnt have anything set on auto.

what should they be set as then?

I've got a lot of people online advising to set everything on auto and then a lot of other people advising to set everything manually, but they don't provide any figures or methods to get figures or anything to go by.. so I end up setting everything to auto. If you have any specific suggestions, please feel free :)

Associate
OP
These look hot to me, if my chip was that toasty under prime and idling at 60c plus I would be concerned (But they are within safe limits, just). It would help to know the volts you are putting through your chip. I am guessing you are raising that incrementally as you are the blck.

A quick search of this forum and a browse through the CPU forum ******** Official i7 overclocking thread ******** would confirm that those temps seem high. (Always good to compare your experience to those have taken the time post and share). I would start around page 13 (maybe a bit earlier) and scan-read through.

Others will also suggest that perhaps you might want to try reseating your mugen..?

Myself I am wondering if you have left some motherboard settings on auto in the bios. Maybe posting a screenie of cpuz would help.

As quick comparison for you.

screenied.jpg

wow, those temperatures look incredible.

I'm starting to get really ****ed with this. I've spent now 49 hours taking apart my PC and putting it back together again, over and over again, and I just can't get down to anywhere near those temps. I've now re-seated the Mugen cooler 3 times, got all the leads tidied up. Each time it requires the whole motherboard to be taken out of the PC and is a 40 minute job. Have I just wasted a lot of money..

What is the temperature of your room?
What PC case are you using?
How many fans do you have in your case, and which make/model of fans, in which positions?
What CPU cooler are you using?
How are your fans set, what speed are they running at?
What are the settings in your BIOS - can I see pics?
How the heck did you get 4.3Ghz with 31 degrees at idle?
Are you living in a fridge?

Last edited:
Permabanned
wow, those temperatures look incredible.

I'm starting to get really ****ed with this. I've spent now 49 hours taking apart my PC and putting it back together again, over and over again, and I just can't get down to anywhere near those temps. I've now re-seated the Mugen cooler 3 times, got all the leads tidied up. Each time it requires the whole motherboard to be taken out of the PC and is a 40 minute job. Have I just wasted a lot of money..

What is the temperature of your room?
What PC case are you using?
How many fans do you have in your case, and which make/model of fans, in which positions?
What CPU cooler are you using?
How are your fans set, what speed are they running at?
What are the settings in your BIOS - can I see pics?
How the heck did you get 4.3Ghz with 31 degrees at idle?
Are you living in a fridge?

Chill mate :D

Those temps he posted are really really good. Better than the norm for sure. Most decent setups at those clocks can reach mid 80's or even 90's no problem. Its a blend of everything and no one thing contributes to the overall result.
The chip itself could be a excellent individual chip. The one me and you have might not be. So many stipulations why this is not a simple answer for you.

I use the Corsair H50 and when running 4.2ghz HT on ( achieved IBT stable ) i was hitting late 80's on most of my cores. The i7 has a TJmax of 100degs. The chip was not within a close range of this. Then the temps are acceptable.

Good luck

McT

Back
Top Bottom