360 Memory unit

Associate
Do many people have these? If so do they have much use?

I was considering one because I will be playing on my mates 360 a lot soon but want to bring the achievements across to my profile. So how does this work, you can save your profile to the card and any achievements go straight on? Or I put my save games on the card then load it on my own 360 for points to get added?

*Is it the exact same as using any USB stick? Does the 360 unit offer any benefit?

Last edited:
Soldato
It used to be that you could only save data onto a memory unit, Microsoft recently patched the 360 so that a data stick can do the same job.

In short, any usb stick will do fine.

Soldato
You'd have to move your profile onto the memory card/stick and leave it on there, otherwise you would have to transfer it back to your main memory device (HDD?) every time you were back on your own console.

You can't copy your profile and have 2 current instances of it.

Associate
OP
You'd have to move your profile onto the memory card/stick and leave it on there, otherwise you would have to transfer it back to your main memory device (HDD?) every time you were back on your own console.

You can't copy your profile and have 2 current instances of it.

Ah arse, so there is no real solution to this in terms of it recognising achievements on my own machine? Im assuming porting across my save games would do nothing?

Soldato
Ah arse, so there is no real solution to this in terms of it recognising achievements on my own machine? Im assuming porting across my save games would do nothing?

I think you're confused slightly. :)

You're achievements are linked to your profile. If you move your profile to an MU or USB stick, all your achievements will be with it.

Then you can play on your mates machine, unlock a few, and connect your MU back to your Xbox and you'll still have them.

I've got my profile on a USB stick (and previously and MU), and just leave it plugged into my Xbox usually, then if I want to go to a mates console I just pull the stick out and plug it into his, then play as normal. No faffing around required. :)

Associate
OP

You're achievements are linked to your profile. If you move your profile to an MU or USB stick, all your achievements will be with it.

Then you can play on your mates machine, unlock a few, and connect your MU back to your Xbox and you'll still have them.

I've got my profile on a USB stick (and previously and MU), and just leave it plugged into my Xbox usually, then if I want to go to a mates console I just pull the stick out and plug it into his, then play as normal. No faffing around required. :)

Haha I was indeed rather confused, thank you for clearing that up, I understand it all fully now!

Associate
OP

You seem to be the local genius on the subject, one last query if you dont mind!

If I just use a USB stick, can I keep other normal data on it such as uni work or should it be an xbox only memory stick to avoid corruption or something?

Soldato
You seem to be the local genius on the subject, one last query if you dont mind!

If I just use a USB stick, can I keep other normal data on it such as uni work or should it be an xbox only memory stick to avoid corruption or something?

I know you asked someone else, but I think the 360 will only use the available space. I used a USB stick the other week and didn't realise it had an .mkv file on it until I put it back in a PC, so the 360 didn't wipe it.

If it's important work though, I still wouldn't risk it.

Associate
OP
I know you asked someone else, but I think the 360 will only use the available space. I used a USB stick the other week and didn't realise it had an .mkv file on it until I put it back in a PC, so the 360 didn't wipe it.

If it's important work though, I still wouldn't risk it.

Cheers Nismo, was definitely an open question! Thanks, think I will stick on the safe side and use a seperate memory stick for it

Back
Top Bottom