HDD Faliure on the way?

Associate
Wow thats really unlucky. 5 samsungs in 2 years? They have always been so reliable for me. If you have something like HD Tune (download the evaluation version here) or samsungs own diagnostic tools here to check out the status of the drive

Soldato
OP
Wow thats really unlucky. 5 samsungs in 2 years? They have always been so reliable for me. If you have something like HD Tune (download the evaluation version here) or samsungs own diagnostic tools here to check out the status of the drive
yeah im scanning as we speak not sure what to make of the error message if hd tune finds no errors?

Associate
You could do with something to view the SMART data. Some thing like Crystal disk info (CDI)

If the reallocated sector count is changing it will flag a warning in windows, but it doesn't necessarily mean the drive will die.
I've had a drive where 3 sectors have failed and been re-allocated, CDI flags a warning, but its been like that for 3 years now.
Start to worry if the re-allocated sector count is constantly on the change.

Associate
Does the Windows event log give any more information about the error?

If the SMART data doesn't show anything or the manufacturers tools then it could be something else. Has this happened just the once?

uv

uv

Soldato
I've had 2 F1's and a 500GB Sammy die on me.. won't be buying a Samsung drive again in the near future. My ancient 36GB raptor outlived all my Samsung drives.

Associate
If it starting up, i wouldnt see it as in issue, as the drive is just probably checking itself.

If it occurs in windows, id say the drive is on its way out (based on my own experience with Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor and Samsung hard drives. (Whenever a drive was about to die, i always heard a cluck while in windows)

Don
5, christ that's unlucky

Luckily, I've only ever had one hard drive die (the first one I ever bought)

I have around 8 WD drives and about 10 Samsungs, all have been rock solid

Back
Top Bottom