steering wheel hands position

Permabanned
I thought I'd make a thread because I cant find a steering wheel hands position Im happy with.

Currently I use 10-4 which seems quite comfortable, I cant do 10-2 for very long because my arms get tired.

What hands position do you use? I might make this a poll if you guys want?

Soldato
10 & 4? :confused:

The position that offers the most control is 9 and 3, and it's how I hold the wheel with both hands. You can turn the wheel to quite an angle with that position if you cross your arms over as well. I sometimes get lazy and hold it between 2 and 3 o clock though with one hand. Never understood why chavs and women hold the wheel with one hand at 12 o'clock, or 11 o'clock with their right arm or some such... The words "no control whatsoever" come to mind. And the other seemingly female 'obsession' of turning the wheel for a slow manoeuvre by gripping the underneath of the top of the wheel and 'pulling' it in either direction! That'd be fun if the airbag went off ;)

Soldato
I just loop a hand through the bottom about 5 o'clock and sit back with my other arm on the the arm-rest (no manual gearbox for me).

Actually I drive in a variety of different ways, I don't have a set position, very often though I do have one arm on the rest and hold the wheel at about 2 o'clock with one hand though, often I use my left hand through the bottom spoke of the wheel around 7 o'clock to assist. I don't generally analyse my hand possitions though (I might be touched with an obsessive element but it hasn't gotten that far yet ) :p ...when I am in the mood for driving and I am 'pressing on' I usually hold it properly at the grips 9-3.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends on the driving am doing.

Motorway its cruise control, knee on steering wheel kicking it back with snacks and a drink. :p

Caporegime

The position that offers the most control is 9 and 3, and it's how I hold the wheel with both hands. You can turn the wheel to quite an angle with that position if you cross your arms over as well. I sometimes get lazy and hold it between 2 and 3 o clock though with one hand. Never understood why chavs and women hold the wheel with one hand at 12 o'clock, or 11 o'clock with their right arm or some such... The words "no control whatsoever" come to mind. And the other seemingly female 'obsession' of turning the wheel for a slow manoeuvre by gripping the underneath of the top of the wheel and 'pulling' it in either direction! That'd be fun if the airbag went off ;)

Well you'd fail your driving test.... ;)

Associate

A lot of professional racing drivers hold the wheel of road cars with one hand at 12 o'clock. I'm sure I heard somewhere that it is so that they know where the centre position of the wheel is for when correcting slides (that is why some cars have a marker at the top of the steering wheel)

Also you also get the biggest degree of angle in one sweep that way without having to move your hands around the wheel.

Agreed that for most mere mortals it is a hinderence as most people struggle to correct big slides no matter where their hands are on the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom