Why the need for so many sweeteners in so much stuff?

Soldato
I was just drinking a can of Fanta and i don't normally do it but i just had a look at the ingredients and i was surprised to see not one but three different kinds of sweeteners in a single can, that's added on top of normal sugar, so we have four things making this drink sweet, probably more if you include the fruit juices, surely thats excessive when one should do the job?

I thought taste was a limited sense (not smell/taste), something is either sweet or its not or so i thought, looking at wikipedia they rate these on how many times more sweet than sugar they are, so i don't get the need for three kinds of artificial sweeter, doesn't make sense. :confused:

Associate
Well why does the number of sweeteners matter... It's more the amount of each one. Also, in none diet lemonade, there is often 15 grams or so of sugar per 100ml so even if the sweetener is 100x as strong, in a can, you would still need 0.5 grams of sweetener.

Soldato
The 'taste' of different sugars and sweeteners as well as the 'sweetness' is different. Also, the time the taste 'hits' and the size of the aftertaste

I tend to avoid anything with sweeteners when an alternative is available. I've noticed a worrying trend recently that even many of the non-diet drinks these days included sweeteners.

I can't drink anything with aspartame in it - it tastes terrible and leaves a disgusting aftertaste.

Soldato
People who drink lots of fizzy pop are fat and unhealthy. Why did you think this was?

Is this some sort of joke? :confused:

Because I've been drinking at least 2 cans of coke every day for the past 10 years and I'm only 6'1" and about 9.8 stone.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Asim, how can you be so daft sometimes is beyond me. What did you think pop was? It's syrup, which essentially refinied sugar, and soda-water.

Personally, I don't like fanta anyway as it leaves that horrible artificial sweetener after-taste in my mouth. Likewise, I can't drink any flavoured water ('with a touch of strawberry', etc.) as I get bad headaches from it; I'm assuming this is all the sweeteners they have in the water.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
A joke? What?

Soft drinks, pop, fizzy drinks, whatever you want to call them... they're all made the same way: concentrated syrup and soda water.

Soldato
Is that some sort of joke?

Because soft drinks are called pop. Coke is a soft drink. :confused:

Your stupidity really does baffle me sometimes.

ANYWAY moving on, I know they are full of rubbish etc, but I still like to treat myside to a can of pop every now and again :D

INFACT, sod it *cracks open a can of 7UP*

:p

I've heard rumors that 'Diet' or 'Light' drinks can be worse for you than the normal alternative, is there any truth in this?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well the focus group is quite out of focus isn't it when people are getting fat, have blood sugar issues and have other health problems related to it!

Back
Top Bottom