making header text look good tips

i like the 'modern' large header text that really grabs your attention. problem i'm finding is i'm not so good at making it into an image so that it looks more professional, so i end up using boring text (that some reason is always so jaggedy on my screen) rather then a really nice image.

was wondering if people would be willing to offer some tips and advice as to how they make the large headers really stand out and look great?

Caporegime
Code:
h1 {
  font-family: tahoma, verdana;
  color: <anything other than black, depending on the rest of your site's colours>;
  size: 20pt;
}
:p

Don't use images. They can't be indexed/read by search engines and headers are high on the list of things to be read!

Soldato
Just something as simple as negative letter-spacing can make a world of difference to text. Most - if not all - of the usual web culprits have too large a default letter-spacing for big display sizes.

Ems for proper browsers [for three-decimal-places levels of precision], and px for IE.

I have no idea how much letter-spacing control there is using Cufon, sIFR etc, but my guess is "not much".

Back
Top Bottom