Can someone with know-how just check my proposed wired home network - cheers

Associate
Redecorating my house, so thought it was a good time to stick in some network cables. I'm just after a simple set up here.
Thus....

Broadband (10M VM) modem in lounge
|
V
1m cat6 into Netgear GS608 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
| |
| V
| 1m cat6 into HTPC in lounge
V
10m cat6 up to first floor to plug into: Linksys WRT54-GS wireless router
| |
| V
| 1m cat6 to NAS or something + wireless
V
10m cat6 up to 2nd floor and my PC

Hope that all makes sense and looks ok. Am i right in thinking i can use the Netgear GS608 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch just like a router to split up the internet connection? And then i'm assuming its ok to split this again by my wireless WRT54-GS router.

Is it easy enough to trim down lengths of cat6 and fix into wall sockets or put new 8P8C connectors on?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
it will work.. http traffic from the HTPC will go switch > router > switch > modem..

but it is poor design, but tbh, i don't think it will matter at all on a tiny network like this.

Caporegime
it will work.. http traffic from the HTPC will go switch > router > switch > modem..

but it is poor design, but tbh, i don't think it will matter at all on a tiny network like this.

No, the modem needs to go into the WAN port on the router.

You could get away with it using vlan trunking, but not with the hardware listed.

Soldato
Wont anything connected onto the wireless route only be at 100Mbps not Gb (NAS + 2nd Floor

plus I'd swap the switch for a HP Procurve 1400-8G, gets better reviews (plus I've got one and I know it does a cracking job)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
No, the modem needs to go into the WAN port on the router.

You could get away with it using vlan trunking, but not with the hardware listed.

The modem still can go into the WAN port of the router, just via the switch. In an enterprise environment, yeah you'd use VLANs for it - but on a home network won't just using two different subnets work - then the router is just routing between the two subnets.. so it doesn't really matter that they're all on the same switch.

Caporegime
The modem still can go into the WAN port of the router, just via the switch. In an enterprise environment, yeah you'd use VLANs for it - but on a home network won't just using two different subnets work - then the router is just routing between the two subnets.. so it doesn't really matter that they're all on the same switch.

Still won't work, as you have devices other than the modem attached to the WAN port of the router, which is OUTSIDE of NAT. The router will not see anything on that port as being inside the perimeter network.

The ONLY way would be vlan trunking over a single cable, but as I said, his kit won't do that.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
so if you ignored the HTPC for now, and just went modem > switch > router > another PC, then that won't work either because there is a switch between the modem and the router?

hang on, i've been assuming running another cable from the LAN side of the router back down to the lower switch - which looking again, is not in the OP. I'm not daft enough to think it'd have any chance of working without VLANs or a second cable.

Caporegime
hang on, i've been assuming running another cable from the LAN side of the router back down to the lower switch - which looking again, is not in the OP. I'm not daft enough to think it'd have any chance of working without VLANs or a second cable.

Congratulations on finally catching up with the thread :p

2nd cable wouldn't work either as there would be a rather nasty loop. If he was to go to the effort of running a 2nd cable, it might as well go right back to the modem.

Soldato
You don't need cat6 for any of that to get gigabit speeds tbh. 10m is the max length of your cable? cat5e will do gigabit for the first 25m and its lessy fussy than cat6 when it comes to corner radius and cable bends (around door frames etc).
As for your setup, why are you splitting the traffic that way.?
GeX is certainly right, the modem needs to go into the WAN port of your WRT54GS.
The WRT54GS and all computers then feeds into the switch. Seeing as the WRT54GS is your router/firewall, you can use it to apply QoS and traffic rules as you see fit.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Congratulations on finally catching up with the thread :p

2nd cable wouldn't work either as there would be a rather nasty loop. If he was to go to the effort of running a 2nd cable, it might as well go right back to the modem.

that is true, straight to the modem would be a better way of doing it assuming the OP already has the kit listed.

I'm really not awake yet!

so modem > router > switch > wireless access point upstairs

Soldato
Erm, you mean I'm right?

Oo err....some of those posts weren't there when i wrote mine, sorry.

There seems to be some confusion, dunno whether its just me, but it looks like all the OP is trying to do is share his internet connection throughout his house (like mine).
Modem > wan port of Router, then lan port of router > Switch
All computers either cable to the switch or connect via wifi.

The WRT54GS has 4 lan ports, so if you don't have more than 4 wired computers then you don't really need the switch, unless you simply MUST have gigabit speeds which the WRT doesn't do, its 10/100.
The only need to hang the WRT off the switch is to attain gigabit speeds across the network.

Associate
OP
Sorry to cause confusion so early in the day!
I can just scrap the switch as it doesn't appear to be neccessary. I'll just go:
modem > router > access point

@ Benzai Joe - my only reason for going cat6 was because it seemed worthwhile putting the best available in whilst i'm ripping up floor boards and drilling holes in my walls. But you're right, the distances are short so perhaps cat5e will be fine (and easier to install).

Soldato
Sorry to cause confusion so early in the day!
I can just scrap the switch as it doesn't appear to be neccessary. I'll just go:
modem > router > access point

@ Benzai Joe - my only reason for going cat6 was because it seemed worthwhile putting the best available in whilst i'm ripping up floor boards and drilling holes in my walls. But you're right, the distances are short so perhaps cat5e will be fine (and easier to install).

Lol, all clear now matey. :D
If you have cat6 cables and they don't need tight corners to go round AND you have cat6 modules etc then yes, i'd go for it too. But i wouldn't go out and buy it all if not. Get cat5e instead for your needs.

Do you have all the necessary cabling? I have loads if you need any for the cost of postage only. Let me know if you do.

Associate
OP
right, so...
VM modem > NETGEAR Wireless-N Router WNR2000 > wireless access point on 1st floor + wired connection up to 2nd floor attic room.
And all cables to be patch cat5e including modem to router.
The Netgear WNR2000 looks pretty good to me. Anyone got any other recommendations?

Cheers for the offer Banzai, I'll send you an email....

Back
Top Bottom