q6600 with a p5kc

Soldato
One of my mates is running this combo with the q6600 at 3.2 ghz ( thought not water cooling, he has a tuniq tower ), can't recall whether he had problems getting up to more. Counter vdrop with more volts tbh, provided you don't go ott. with it and keep it cool.

Associate
p5kc is a terrible board for a q6600 in my experience, I couldn't get it over 2.8 without being stable, whereas a gigabyte p45 did 3.2 a breeze.

Soldato
Running mine at 3.2Ghz fine on air with pretty good results and temps.

Thanks to a thread I posted a few days ago, iNPUt helped me out a good bit with a few questions I had. :)

These boards are well known for their vdroop but it doesn't mean they can't be reasonable little clockers with the right combo of RAM and a Quad with a half decent VID. There's always the "Pencil" mod as well, I haven't carried it out yet but it may be worth looking into. I've got my vCore in BIOS set to 1.400v ( I think ) but as you can see, CPUZ reports it at 1.352v.

Here's mine on air ( Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ) :-

fd4jmt.jpg

Associate
Odd, skeeterUK from this forum runs his fine at 3.2 ghz.

I was probably doing something wrong, I think looking back at it I think it was all to do with my ram (bad pairs, then voltage for new stuff),
I only really made the proper effort to overclock when I got my gigabyte p45 and q9550 combo.

Along with the memory I really disliked the p5kc bios, I probably shouldn't of made the comment, you should be fine,
I just really didn't like the p5kc so when I saw it I made a sly comment, didn't have any time to say anything constructive :(.

I response to the question asked is, I think you should give it a go, maybe not leap straight into watercooling it,
see how far you can get on air, if your being stopped by a heat barrier I think then watercooling it would be beneficial.
Depends how far you want to push it, 3.6+ should be achievable with watercooling on water with 400fps, depends how bad the vdroop and many other factors.

Good luck :)

Associate
OP
I was probably doing something wrong, I think looking back at it I think it was all to do with my ram (bad pairs, then voltage for new stuff),
I only really made the proper effort to overclock when I got my gigabyte p45 and q9550 combo.

Along with the memory I really disliked the p5kc bios, I probably shouldn't of made the comment, you should be fine,
I just really didn't like the p5kc so when I saw it I made a sly comment, didn't have any time to say anything constructive :(.

I response to the question asked is, I think you should give it a go, maybe not leap straight into watercooling it,
see how far you can get on air, if your being stopped by a heat barrier I think then watercooling it would be beneficial.
Depends how far you want to push it, 3.6+ should be achievable with watercooling on water with 400fps, depends how bad the vdroop and many other factors.

Good luck :)

my pc is already water cooled, it will be a straight swap for my 2180.

ive got my fingers crossed, doesnt look like its going to be here for the weekend :(

Associate
OP
okay ive now got my q6600 stable at 3.4 using 1.5125 in bios cpu-z 1.448

max temp is 60c

had trouble with diff ram settings, ram is only at 1208mhz

i did have it running at 1.47 but it became unstable in a game i think this is the vdroop

Soldato
Currently have mine stable at 3.6ghz, 1.56 in bios. Its either 1.5650 or 1.6250 in bios.

Load is 1.47, max load temps 67c, idle at around 35c. This is with a P45 board, H50 cooling, lapped cpu with a vid of 1.3150. This might be up for sale soon as I recently bought a 1.2650 vid chip

Back
Top Bottom