VW Beetle

Soldato
Actually, I quite like the noise the engine makes. Very distinctive. :)

If you call the sound of a handful of nuts and bolts in a tumble drier "distinctive", then maybe. IMO they are generally horrible sounding things, especially with the original pea shooter exhausts that make a strange whistling noise.

Associate
OP
Each to their own I suppose, but you must admit it sounds unique. :)

What is surprising though is peoples reactions so far. Never realised you guys hated the car so much. :)

Associate
OP
Citroen 2CVs appear to start at around £1500, just as an aside.

Hehe, would you believe I was just browsing for those to see how much they go for? :)

Benjo, thanks for the links. Like the look of the last one. Problem is, living in London, insurance is my biggest problem. Will have a hunt around, but can't see them being very reasonble. Will see.

Associate
OP
Well, insurance for me has to be in the £200-400 range to make this work, so that rules out a lot of cheap, but interesting cars.

I just don't do the mileage to justify paying large insurance premiums.

That was also one of the reason the Beetle appealed, since I got a quote for £160 fully comp!

Soldato
The point is that it is still a classic car (not as desirable as a GTi) but still gets the thumbs up every so often.

Fair enough! :) I like them, but If I were to buy one now, it'd be a GTi :)

Edit: How in gods name did you insure a Mk2 for £450? The lowest I got was my renewal @ £950!

Mk2 1.6 Driver, I'm 20 with 0ncb, Bell, Admiral and Elephant all give me around £450 quotes with my parents added. A Mk2 8v is around £700 and a 16v was about £900 :)

Soldato
Fair enough! :) I like them, but If I were to buy one now, it'd be a GTi :)

Mk2 1.6 Driver, I'm 20 with 0ncb, Bell, Admiral and Elephant all give me around £450 quotes with my parents added. A Mk2 8v is around £700 and a 16v was about £900 :)

Hmmm. Adding my dad changed nothing, and besides I'm at uni so that would be insurance fraud if I had parents on my policy.

Oh well classic car insurance when im 21 so that'll sort me out at £250/year :D

Edit:

I read a magazine article quite recently that suggested the non-GTi Mk1s were now actually rarer than the GTi, as so few people bothered to save them.

Excellent, thats what I like to hear ;)

Associate
OP
Exactly.

I have my mum on my policy, even though she has her own car.

Interestingly, I am a named driver on her policy, which brought the cost down, even though I am a 32 year old male as opposed to my 63 year old mum.

Man of Honour
Hmmm. Adding my dad changed nothing, and besides I'm at uni so that would be insurance fraud if I had parents on my policy.

Why would it be? What if your Dad came to visit you and drove your car home for you or something, there are numerous possible reasons why it might be useful to have him on your policy. It isnt fraud at all.

Back
Top Bottom