England Italia '90 vs England S. Africa 2010

Soldato
Just looking back at some of the matches in the Italia 90 campaign and there are a lot of parallels with England now as they were back then. Being slated by the press, not carrying a lot of form into the finals. The press were always quick to say how good the Italia '90 team were but being honest we stumbled into the Semi's. That game against West Germany was one of the games we actually showed some real class yet we got beat.

So comparing the team from Italia 90 to a probable team that could well star. Who would you have player for player.

GK Peter Shilton---------------->David James
DF Paul Parker------------------>Glenn Johnson
DF Stuart Pearce--------------->Ashley Cole
DF Des Walker------------------>Rio Ferdinand
DF Terry Butcher---------------->John Terry
MF Mark Wright----------------->Gareth Barry
MF David Platt------------------>Frank Lampard
MF Paul Gascoigne-------------->Steven Gerrard
MF Chris Waddle---------------->Aaron Lennon
FW Peter Beardsley------------->Wayne Rooney
FW Gary Lineker---------------->Peter Crouch

For me I would go with the following

GK Peter Shilton
DF Paul Parker
DF Ashley Cole
DF Rio Ferdinand
DF John Terry
MF Gareth Barry
MF Frank Lampard
MF Paul Gascoigne
MF Chris Waddle
FW Wayne Rooney
FW Gary Lineker

Soldato
Not sure I'd agree with your 11 there, I'd have Pearce, Walker, Butcher & Platt over their equivalents any day.

How can you possibly leave Stuart Pearce out? I'd have 11 Stuart Pearce's if I could :p

Wasn't Beardsley one of those players who never really showed his club form in an England shirt?

Wasn't Mark Wright a defender?

Soldato
Peter Shilton
Paul Parker
Stuart Pearce
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Gareth Barry
David Platt
Paul Gascoigne
Chris Waddle
Wayne Rooney
Gary Lineker

Using your choices, I'd go for the above team. Platt was very underrated and much more impressive for England than Lampard has shown in recent years (more to do with the constant messing around with central midfield than his own ability that is clearly shown week in week out at Chelsea).

Soldato
OP
Not sure I'd agree with your 11 there, I'd have Pearce, Walker, Butcher & Platt over their equivalents any day.

How can you possibly leave Stuart Pearce out? I'd have 11 Stuart Pearce's if I could :p

Wasn't Beardsley one of those players who never really showed his club form in an England shirt?

Wasn't Mark Wright a defender?

Mark Wright was a defender but if memory serves correct he played in midfield. Kind of like a holding player but before holding players came about in England :p It was either him or Pebble Head McMahon playing in midfield

Man of Honour
Bryan Robson was in the Italia'90 team until he got injured, so given that SA'2010 hasn't started yet I think it is a bit unfair to exclude him. Also the forward line wasn't the same every game, Barnes played a few instead of Beardsley/Waddle iirc.

Permabanned
Bryan Robson was in the Italia'90 team until he got injured, so given that SA'2010 hasn't started yet I think it is a bit unfair to exclude him. Also the forward line wasn't the same every game, Barnes played a few instead of Beardsley/Waddle iirc.

It was Steve Bull who played instead of Beardsley.

Back
Top Bottom