• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600

Associate
I currently have a quad core q9300 but I am thinking of getting a dual core e8600. I know my mobo supports it so no problems there. Is it worth the extra hundred quid,ish over the e8400 for the extra stock speed it provides as I do intend fitting a better cooler and overclocking to 4ghz if I get it.

What do you guys think??

Soldato
you'd be far better off overclocking your quad. If you manage to hit 3.2 with the quad then you should have no problems running things for a while yet. If your mobo cant manage that much of an oc you'd be better off investing your money in a better mobo to continue clocking.

With regards to the e8600, no its not worth that much money at all. An e8400 clocks almost as good and can easily go over 4ghz on most boards. But i strongly advise you dont move from a quad to a dual core...

Soldato
The only advantage to the E8600 was the higher multi for a heavy overclocking. Saying that though you could get some real nice E8400 and E8500 CPU's that clocked brilliantly with high FSB.

Regardless of that information above you would be a bit mad to switch from a quad to a dual core, espcially if you plan on overclocking

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I was not really sure if it was a good move which is why i asked. One of the reasons i considered it is that i have read that dual core is better for gaming but that might be a load of rubbish what i read.

What air or water cooler do you recomend for overclocking my Q9300 then??

Have you seen the Coolermaster V10 which looks like an awesome aircooler but i aint sure if it will fit in my icute server case.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 so perhaps you could help me with how to overclock my Q9300 to 3.2ghz.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
that's a really good board, also what you read about duals being better used to be true, but with more and more multi-threaded games and DX11 on the horizon it'd be daft to get a dual now

the corsair water cooler seems to be popular atm, and should cool your quad fine, but i've never used it so i can't really make any comment on it other than that

Associate
OP
I aint got a DX11 card yet like the GTX480 as i have a GTX295 in use and cannot justify the cost of a GTX480 yet.
I have always been a fan of Gigabyte mobo's since my first build and have stayed with that brand since.

OK so overclocking my Q9300 it is. So please spec me a good cooler.
I have plenty of spare power from my Coolermaster Real Power Pro 1250watt PSU.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom