Browsing the net with 1960's modem

Soldato
This is an old vid but I just came across it and thought it was pretty cool.

This guy shows browsing Wikipedia at 300 baud using lynx (a text only browser)

Associate
That is quite cool, look at the quality and workmanship which used to go into these sorts of things, you just don't get that these days.

As for the voltages thing, well USB serial adaptors often don't conform to the RS232 specification properly, so that's hardly surprising, i've run across this issue myself with even new telemetry/IA equipment which wants proper RS232.

Caporegime
How else would it talk to the phone network? These things were very expensive to start off with, and people had phones anyway so why not save money by missing out the phone part? Also, it wasn't that long ago when people had to rent phones from the telcos, and weren't allowed to connect their own devices. This also gets around that.

Last edited:
Associate
Why did he have to put the phone handset into the modem?

As said above, it's an acoustic modem, so it generates the tones through a speaker and listens through a microphone, which is played through the phones handset.

You would do well to watch War Games and Hackers (although they're not entirely technically accurate, they do use this acoustic modem principle in various places)

Back
Top Bottom