So here's my personal Cancer tale....

Soldato
Hi guys,

So around November 2009 I found a small lump on one of my testicles. For about a week I figured it was probably just some kind of oddity. Like if you bump yourself and that it would go away. By the following week it was still there and I figured it was time to have it looked at.

Partially out of shame and partially not wanting to alarm anybody I quietly booked a doctors appointment. My initial inspection revealed not much, the doctor was unsure what I was talking about and suggested I came back in a month and was seen by a male doctor. As you can imagine I was a little worried about this but she reassured me it was very unlikely to be anything sinister.

I returned a moth later just before new year and saw the head of the practice. A doctor I have now nicknamed 'Safe hands Silverman'. He had a feel and decided it was best to refer me for an ultrasound. Once again though he stressed it was unlikely to be anything.

In early January I had the ultrasound. Unbelievably the technician exclaimed it was just a cyst and nothing to worry about at all. Then second later completely changed his mind and referred me to a Urologist.

More scans, more meetings, led eventually to the decision it that it was best to take the testicle out (April 2010). At first I thought the whole thing was a nightmare. That my life would now be an endless set of ball jokes and I'd wince every time I heard some one say 'He hasn't got the balls'.

I won't lie, it has at times been tough. But now 2 months on from the surgery I am starting to worry less. The lab inspected the tumour and my fears were confirmed it was a semi malignant cancer. I actually had a rare form. One that is unresponsive to chemotherapy. I know now that taking the decision to remove it was the best thing I ever did.

I have to still go back for years to be re CT scanned to check it hasn't returned and hopefully it will not. Its amazing though how something so slight can have ramifications over your whole life.

Without being too cliché I decided a week ago that I would do soemthing to try and help others who might go through the same. To this end I am attempting the three peak challenge in July.

I am doing this for Orchid a male cancer charity. Although a shameless plug, I would like share the link to my just giving page with you guys who I have always graciously been there for so many people in the past. I truly believe that this forum is one of if not the best online communities there is.

And remember, even it feels slightly different, its better to have it checked than to die for nothing.

Thanks.

http://www.justgiving.com/DavidJames3Peaks

Last edited:
Associate
one of my friends had a similar experiance, theres nothing to be ashamed of and the fact you went and had it checked shows you have more balls (excuse the pun)than the next man because you did something about it. Good for you for getting it looked at and hope everything goes well for the future.

Man of Honour
My initial inspection revealed not much, the doctor was unsure what I was talking about and suggested I came back in a month and was seen by a male doctor.

I don't get this.
Are you saying she didn't feel your balls?

Earlier this year I had a lump on my shaft and the female Doctor asked if I wanted a male present but I told her to get on with it.
Anyway it was a blood cot that repaired itself a couple of weeks later.

Caporegime
I have a small sized pea in one of mine , i had it checked out at the doctors and both times they said it was just a cyst.. If i squeeze it , it's painful had it for about 5years now. I also suffer from bouts of groin strain

Caporegime
Nice story and I'm glad everything turned out well for you mate. My 88 year old granddad has had colon cancer and bowel cancer and fortunately beaten it both times. :)

Soldato
OP
First off thanks for all your kind words.

I don't get this.
Are you saying she didn't feel your balls?

Earlier this year I had a lump on my shaft and the female Doctor asked if I wanted a male present but I told her to get on with it.
Anyway it was a blood cot that repaired itself a couple of weeks later.

She did inspect them but was unsure what to do. I don't think she could feel what I was talking about. She also asked if I wanted some one present I said no but she went and got a nurse. More people != better for stuff like that.

Soldato
Respect for sharing the story and getting yourself checked out. Had to go when I was 17 I think it was, makes you very nervous. The more people that check themselves the better.

Soldato
OP
If I was you Neil I;d ask for an ultrasound just for peace of mind. Its really obvious if its a cyst on the scan. I actually have a cyst too on the tubey things that connect them up.

Moses99p : Yeah I do have a prosthetic one. Though its not very comfortable, Id prob rather not have it .

Anyone who has sponsored or is thinking of sponsoring - Thank you sooo much, its great of you to do this for what is essentially a stranger. :)

Permabanned
I've been 3 times with lumps on mine. 1st 15 years ago, a cyst the size of a marble (lump still there) other 2 were calcification lumps.

I'm a bit disturbed that they waited to ultrasound you. All 3 times I've been I was referred straight away.

I suppose I need to be extra vigilant now as after 3 times I don't check so often.

Good luck.

Associate
Does this explain your username?

In all seriousness I thank you for sharing. This is a topic that has been freaking me out lately. I've basically been experiencing pain down there in recent weeks and was scared to check for any lumps basically. I have since checked and cannot feel anything unusual thankfully. I know we should not seek medical advice on this forum but I am still concerned about this pain if I'm honest. However, you have made me sit up and take note not to be so ridiculous about checking myself.

Back
Top Bottom