vehicle checks

Soldato
OP
Not quite sure what you mean, but a HPI check will tell you whether the car has been written off, cat c cat d etc. or if there is any outstanding finance.

that's once the insurance has gone through. but what if a claim is still ongoing and if you buy a damaged vehicle which then gets wrote off by the insurance? the claim wion't show as it wasn't completed or will it still show as though its completed to give visibility of the status? :confused:

Man of Honour
You cant buy a car before its written off by the insurer surely?

The insurer writes a car off by paying out for its value to the policyholder and then taking ownership of the car. If its sold before this point, then obviously they wont be able to pay out a total loss claim for it because... it isnt in the posession of the policyholder anymore?

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16705349 said:
You cant buy a car before its written off by the insurer surely?

The insurer writes a car off by paying out for its value to the policyholder and then taking ownership of the car. If its sold before this point, then obviously they wont be able to pay out a total loss claim for it because... it isnt in the posession of the policyholder anymore?

I have no idea how insurance works hence me asking. :) It wasn't a car per se but a motorbike which had been damaged by hitting the rear of a van and hence it would have been the riders fault i imagine and the owner said no insurance claims as the insurance claim had been withdrawn but i was wondering how you go about checking it?

Soldato
It can happen that both parties choose to settle without informing their insurers. Then who knows what you're buying really. Could be completely bent, I guess an MOT or an AA check or similar could confirm this either way though. Not sure how it works with bikes.

Back
Top Bottom