Where does my girlfriend stand in all this?

Hi Guys,

Bit of advice really... My girlfriend has just started a new job on Monday.

She flew through the interview and received nothing but praise. During the interview she was pretty much told she has the job and was sooo made up when she got it as it is something she wanted to do.

Now then, she has been in training since Monday but today everything has gone wrong.

When she was 14 she foolishly had a fight with a girl and basically the Police were involved. Both girls were to blame but the other girl came out worst and my girlfriend was the one who got in trouble. She was told she couldnt go back to school and had to do her GCSE's at college. Since then she hasn't had anything to do with the girl. The girl has often given my girlfriend abuse in the street and so has the girls mother and sister. The girls mother and sister both work for the company that my girlfriend has started work for and have started saying things to their team leaders. This has got back to HR and today my girlfriend has been told she can't do the job she was employed to do and will be moved section to do a dead end job. She has also been told she can't go near these people and has basically been trampled all over. I wouldnt mind but it is all their word against my girlfriends but they have favoured them.

I thought it was bad but 5 minutes ago my girlfriend (who is the nicest girl in the world - even though when she was 14 she may have been a little cow) phoned me up sobbing her little heart out saying her team leader just went up to her in the canteen and said "It would be best if you went home, your not being fired but i am going home now and HR are under staffed. I wouldnt want a conflict taking place". So basically she has had to walk home whilst no noing what is happening.

Where does she stand in all this? Surely its a case of her word against theirs! I just feel so sorry for her as she hasnt had the best life but shes always helped others and tried her hardest. Now everything seems to be going right in her life shes just been shot down by these people who she wouldnt even recognise 4 years later.

Caporegime
If it was me I would just leave and find another job. I know easier said than done but it is the easiet route and will save a lot of hassle in the future with these other people.

Soldato
If they force her out she can look at constructive dissmisal but being so new she probably won't have any rights

if she records her manager technically bullying her and accusing her of causing trouble then she might :p

if it was my old work the boss would probably of went mad at the other 2 for bringing up such petty nonsense at work without any proof or real problem

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Depends on the size of the company - but as with all things the CAB are a good place to get advise.

Man of Honour
Get her to explain the situation to her boss and explain the problem and she holds no grudge etc as this was x years ago and shes grown up enough to put the difference in the past

Caporegime
It's advice.

And I would seriously be weighing up my options if I want to work for such a company that takes the word of other employee's on such a confidential matter and conducts itself in such a manor that they instruct you to go home.

On the other side though, is the fact that to every story there is always two sides. Who knows the OPs girlfriend could have said something to set them off, you just never know and we likely never will.

Soldato
Personally i'd ask for it in writing, stating clear reasons for being moved into a "dead end" job, also i'd ask for exact details of what her propitiations are regarding the other party.

Speak to citizen advice, make a record of everything that is said and make sure she asks for everything in writing. The fact she was asked to go home is enough to start a constructive dismissal complaint. If she signed a contract to say she is to work a certain amount of hours then i'm sure there would be grounds to put a complaint in.

If not, put all her concerns in a letter send it recorded delivery and keep a copy for future reference, you'll soon see them squirm... the fact they have a HR dept means they arnt a small company.

Caporegime
Would you really go to such great lengths for a job you have done for 2.5 days? I mean just think of the reputation you will give yourself for the rest of the time at the company?

Yes it's wrong but seriously is it worth fighting this tooth and nail?

Commissario
anticonscience is hitting the nail pretty much full on here, in my opinion.

There's clearly two options - stay and fight or go and find something else. I'm afraid I would go with leaving and finding something else, just to avoid any future hassle.

Soldato
jobs arent easy to find though. and if she stays i cant imagine other people looking down on her for it. the 2 moaning sound like the sort that everyone hates anyway. infact everyone always hates mother daughter combos at work , always

Caporegime
Paybacks a bitch.

Explain the situation to superiors. If she really wants to carry on i see no reason why not as long as she can cope with all the BS talking behind her back.

Soldato
I agree with anticonscience, it's just a job.

I'd advise her to pack it in and start a fresh somewhere else. I think it's quite clear she's going to have to put up with this upset until she's driven out otherwise.

Soldato
Just how bad did she beat on this other girl to get the police involved and excluded from school?

I mean, if she's beat her to within an inch of her life, that kind of thing does stay with you no matter how she's changed since.

Soldato
OP
I understand but i feel really sorry for her as she has financial coomittments. If she was to just leave her job and look for another she would be shooting herself in the foot. On the other hand she could look for one whilst working for the company in question. Saying that though i still don't find it fair that this is happening to her and i know the company is an excellent one. They have won 100s of awards in their field of business and are well known to their oppositions. Tonight when i get home i will ensure i get all facts out of her but she was so histerical on the phone to me i felt helpless! As far as i am aware her team leader wasn't nasty to her he just said to go home to not cause any possible conflicts. But i know she wouldnt say anything nor would she communicate with these people. Shes not stupid like that and has grown up a heall of a lot since then.

Soldato
OP
Just how bad did she beat on this other girl to get the police involved and excluded from school?

I mean, if she's beat her to within an inch of her life, that kind of thing does stay with you no matter how she's changed since.

It was just a girl fight it wasnt as bad as that, no broken bones just a scrap and my girlfriend came off better in the end. The other girl told her mum who then phoned the police they saw the bruises and my girlfriend had to do community service and the girl said she was to scared to go to school (but then went around telling people my girlfriend doesnt come to school because shes scared shes going to get beat up). So basically the school expelled my girlfriend to keep the other girl happy. I know it sounds all very chavvy and as though my girlfriend deserves this but you don't know her like i do and i can't see why she has to suffer by being kicked out of school and has to now suffer when getting a decent job that she really wants to do and is qualified for. Shes worked really hard to get this far but it has all been spoiled again by this girls mother and sister.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom