• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I want the best Graphics out there

Associate
Ive just upgraded/replaced my 5770 with a 480GTX

very happry with the card got a good 10% overclock at resonable temps

Now I want to see what it can do and show my xbox360 buddies how antiquated there boxes are now

I'm spec'd with [email protected] also

so what is the best showcase of PC graphics out there at the moment

I have crysis with natural mod and 3Dmarkvantage ... any other suggestions ?

Soldato
The 360 is old and can be bought for peanuts now. Your 480GTX costs more than a 360, pads, a stack of games and a 42" Full HD TV! They will probably laugh at you

But yes, metro does look good. Pitty the gameplay isnt great and its very repetative.

How about an 8 player max supply battle on Starcraft 2 when its released next month? Bet the next generation of console wouldnt be up to that

Soldato
The 360 is old and can be bought for peanuts now. Your 480GTX costs more than a 360, pads, a stack of games and a 42" Full HD TV! They will probably laugh at you

But yes, metro does look good. Pitty the gameplay isnt great and its very repetative.

How about an 8 player max supply battle on Starcraft 2 when its released next month? Bet the next generation of console wouldnt be up to that

he will end up buying a 360 next month, mark my words :p

Associate
OP
he will end up buying a 360 next month, mark my words :p

Indeed I will, titles like marvel vs capcom and red dead or fantastic so I will be replacing my broken xbox..

still it winds me up when i sit in friends lounges and they go on about how good the graphics are in 'Alan Wake' or 'Read Dead' ...

I wanted the ultimate showcase for my card to say .. back up and look at this !

Associate
The idea of a games console isn't to be superior anyway, it's just to be dedicated and convenient.

I have friends that thought that the graphics card in the PS3 was the best graphics card in the world... I said, no, my budget 5770 it better, in fact, the graphics card in the 360 is superior to the PS3 graphics card. People actually think the PS3 can play 1080 games!

However, £100 to £200 for a tri-core CPU and an ATI ~1900xt games console isn't bad (i.e. xbox 360).

Like Yakyb said, show your buddies like for like, show them some games they play on their consoles on your PC, full settings, blow them away. If they act blind and say they can't tell a difference slap them on behalf of us all.

Soldato
Indeed, but generally it only does 1080p games that are not too taxing graphically e.g. Ridge Racer, Virtua Tennis, Wipeout HD.

Most modern games on the PS3 (and 360) are sub 1080p and even sub 720P in some case (GTAIV, Final Fantasy XIII etc..). The 360 has the superior scalar though. I believe the PS3 can't even scale games to 1080P properly. Or at least the buffer only works in one direction. COD4 for example which is a native 720P, get's passed to a 960x1080 image buffer which scales the image and the PS3 then strethes it the rest of the way to 1920x1080. It looked terrible. The reasoning behing the 960x1080 is that it isn't a huge performance hit going from 1280x720 to 960 x1080 !!

I thnk the OP meant he wants the best image quality/res/eye candy etc.. as he is comparing his setup to his mates consoles.

Last edited:
Soldato
I looked up just cause 2 screenshots between PS3, XBOX and PC

I was staggered that xbox looked the SAME as PC

I'm hoping the review was dodge

Soldato
I looked up just cause 2 screenshots between PS3, XBOX and PC

I was staggered that xbox looked the SAME as PC

I'm hoping the review was dodge

Well looking up screenshots is a mistake as they aren't even shot at 1080P. So it's hard to tell which looks better from reviews. As for the games looking the same it entirely depends on the game. a lot of them are console ports so pretty much use the same blurry textures. i.e. they looks pants on console or PC, relative to what a PC is capable of. Still, a PC game will have the advantage over being able to use copious amounts of AA and AF. PS3 games generally have no AA or low levels of QXAA. 360 has 2x MSAA. PC games, most people use 4x or 8x MSAA and 16x AF. Regarding JC2, it also has CUDA water, DX11 effects so obviously a 360 can't look better or the same. Finally most console games struggle to run at 30fps and very often have terrible vsync tearing issues in order to maintain a good framerate. PC games can run at 60fps +. It's also worth taking a look at the games analysis the digital foundry guys do over on Eurogamer between a PS3 and Xbox360. They really show how consoles today are barely running the latest titles at decent framrates and they have crap resolutions.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive just upgraded/replaced my 5770 with a 480GTX

very happry with the card got a good 10% overclock at resonable temps

Now I want to see what it can do and show my xbox360 buddies how antiquated there boxes are now

I'm spec'd with [email protected] also

so what is the best showcase of PC graphics out there at the moment

I have crysis with natural mod and 3Dmarkvantage ... any other suggestions ?

Well considering you'd get 2 xbox 360s, and have plenty left over for games, for the price of a GTX 480 I wouldn't be gloating to them or anything.It's not like it's a fair comparison.

Associate
you wanted the best gfx out there... yet you got a 480GTX?

the 5970 is the best

anyone who has any sense would get a 480 over a 5970, it's not multi-gpu so less problems and if you water cool it it can beat a 5970 and WC doesn't really do much with ati cards

Soldato
Why ? The 480 still uses more power and is noisier ? Multi gpu problems are pretty much a thing of the past now with the newer ATI drivers and I have heard very fiew people complaining about micro stuttering. Also, you do know a recent review over on techspot with latest drivers using FRAPS and real world benches put the GTX 480 on par with the ATI 5870, yes the 5870. No way in hell a GTX 480 is beating a 5970. And while I know you can get very good results watercooling a 480, the 5970 can be watercooled very effectively also.

By the way, if the OP wanted the fastest he should have landed out a grand for the Sapphire 5970 Toxic 4GIG :) I have the non toxics which are 50mhz slower but they are both doing 980mhz on the core at 1.27v.

Back
Top Bottom