My steering wheel is gone

Soldato
Someone has nicked my steering wheel. Why? What possible gain could they expect to come out of stealing a steering wheel?

So I'm trying to find a new one, only I can't remember if it had an airbag or not. I think it did but I'm not 100%. Does anyone know if 1993 Vauxhall Astra LS had airbags in the steering wheel as standard? I know it's a longshot asking here.

Soldato
I thought this was a joke at first, I guess not though. I don't know whether they came with air-bags or not in 1993 on the LS ...I would think probably not, but I don't know for sure, I know they did a few years later though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh I must have typed that incorrectly and it was auto corrected to weather then, how annoying. I'm usually a bit of a spelling Nazi myself and I didn't see that.

Soldato
OP
Okay, it seems it didn't have an airbag. But as it turns out, it doesn't matter. The thieves forced the wheel somehow and sheared it off the steering column, so the column needs replacing too.

I got a replacement wheel and column from a breaker's yard - this one actually does have an airbag but they reckon it's close enough that it'll still work as a steering wheel. A mechanic is going to come round on Monday and see what he can do about fitting it, because the job is a little beyond my own skills and tool collection. So, it's out of my hands until Monday. It only took the entire afternoon to travel to the breakers and back on the bus. :-/

FFS WHY TAKE A STEERING WHEEL? Who do they think they're going to sell it to? They also took my stereo and my sunglasses, and removed an interior lightbulb. But it's only the wheel that renders the car undrivable.

Associate
The reason the stole the steering wheel is that is sheared of the column and prints can be left. I used to own a astra mk3 and mine was stolen that what the police told me .
Simple fix cost me just £25 for the column and wheel and only a 20 min job to replace best think to do it buy a steering wheel locking device that goes over the entire steering wheel then they can not use the steering wheel to force the steering lock off . as often when forced there sheer at the column and you got to got through the whole scrap yard bit again on the bus :D

Soldato
OP
The reason the stole the steering wheel is that is sheared of the column and prints can be left. I used to own a astra mk3 and mine was stolen that what the police told me .
Simple fix cost me just £25 for the column and wheel and only a 20 min job to replace best think to do it buy a steering wheel locking device that goes over the entire steering wheel then they can not use the steering wheel to force the steering lock off . as often when forced there sheer at the column and you got to got through the whole scrap yard bit again on the bus :D

The wheel was leather. I didn't think you could get prints off leather?

In fact, the rozzers don't bother dusting for prints anyway for car break-ins. At least, not where I am.

Soldato
Just so you know: Your current steering column is collapsible. The column from a car with an air-bag is not collapsible. If you fit it and have the air-bag non functional; it will steer the car fine but you'll be worse off in an accident than you were before. Not saying you shouldn't do it, a lot of people don't mind, a lot of people drive much less soft cars, just want you to know what you're doing.

Soldato
OP
Just so you know: Your current steering column is collapsible. The column from a car with an air-bag is not collapsible. If you fit it and have the air-bag non functional; it will steer the car fine but you'll be worse off in an accident than you were before. Not saying you shouldn't do it, a lot of people don't mind, a lot of people drive much less soft cars, just want you to know what you're doing.

Yeah but I have no way to attach the new* wheel because they forced the old one off and apparently sheared the column. Here's what's left:

dsc00090w.jpg

It's a shame because it's such a clean break I originally thought all I needed was a new wheel.

*I say "new", but it's an ancient piece of crap compared to what I had originally. It even has a tear in the front. I'll be replacing it with a new one from a dealer when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom