*****My WOT4 MK2 Nitro RC Plane Assembly Log****

Soldato
Should get hours of fun form this, though i do think if you had bought the full on balsa kit to build yourself you would have got some more knowledge on how things go together and why, plus when you do crash it (and you will) then you will know how to glue it all back together again.

I do like Chris Foss's planes, got a Uno Wot and Wot4 myself, my mate has the Acro-wot, Wots Wot and Xtra Wot. Also got a half built top-flite Corsair, a pylon racer using an Irvine engine that is either flat out or idle (seem to recall around 30-40k rpm!!) for the planes, then a Jetstream 1000 speed boat and a few cars too. Wish i could get back into it as i hate just seeing the geat all just boxed up in the garage but just havent got the time to devote to it all now.

Soldato
OP
To be honest, If I was building it from scratch (Balsa mission) I could really see myself messing it up :(

Iv never been too handy at crafting things from scratch, would rather someone just get me half way there (ARTF)

Shame you havnt got time for it :(

Transmission breaker
Don
You'd have to be an idiot to balls up a balsa kit :)

It's all pre-cut, just need to follow the instructions and prepare to swear at it :D

Most kits I see nowerdays are so wel pre-cut they actually almost stand up without any glue!!

My first kits were Keil-Kraft brand. All you got were 3-4 sheets of balsa, some long spars, elastic band, prop, and a wedge of tissue paper with a single sheet A3 layout diagram.

You learn a fair bit building up a few of them!! (no to mention go through a million knife blades!)

You can still get them on ebay I think, might have a nostalgia trip and pick one up for a few quid and just build it up as a bare balsa frame :D

Soldato
OP
You'd have to be an idiot to balls up a balsa kit :)

It's all pre-cut, just need to follow the instructions and prepare to swear at it :D

Believe me, I would find a way :)

I would more than likely trip over the cat, knock a cup flying, cup lands an ornament, ornament falls off the shelf and on to the model. :D

Soldato
Off to fly my Multiplex Pico Jet Combat. I haven't flown in 5 years or so, so fingers crossed!
I have a half completed Chris Foss Acro Wot (balsa kit) I got to the glassing of the wings and fuselage and put it away for 7 years or so!

Caporegime
DJMK4 - how long does it take to fly one of these? Also how much did the kit you listed in your first post set you back? Quite interested in this as a hobby (especially with the 3D camera and goggles).

Transmission breaker
Don
DJMK4 - how long does it take to fly one of these? Also how much did the kit you listed in your first post set you back? Quite interested in this as a hobby (especially with the 3D camera and goggles).

DJMK4 has not learned yet, so let me comment on this :)

In my (limited) experience, most younger people learn pretty quickly. You could be capable of taking BMFA A test after a 4-5 coaching flights. Provided you keep flying carefully and don't do anything too silly.

The A test effectively means you are capable of flying solo.

Soldato
OP

So far I have spent

Spektrum DX6i - £163 - 6 Channel Full range Transmitter Radio << Very good & a copy of Phoenix flight sim which allows you to hook up your radio to your PC and use a simulator

WOT 4 MK2 Plane - £79.99

5 x Servos - £8.99 each

Spektrum AR7000 Reciever - £50.99

Align Regulator/Glow Starter/Li-po Battery - £46.50

Purchased - imax B6 Balance Charger - £36.99

Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter - £16.99

Irvine .46 Engine (to be purchased this friday) - £53.00

All the tools/glues etc - around £20

There is still a few bits I need to get, some decent Tx batteries, tx battery charger, props, fuel etc etc

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ta very much. So the plane itself is just the chassis and you are buying all the (mechanical) other parts and installing them?

Basically yeh, the £79.99 plane comes as the main fuselage, the wings, landing wheels, tail wheel, the fuel tank and obviously all the screws, control rods, cables etc etc and anything else you need to put it together.

Transmission breaker
Don
Thanks Malt :)

Cool, so you are provided with a license after completing the A test? Where are you allowed to fly them?

Well, if you wish to be covered by BMFA insurance whilst flying Solo, you will need to be flying at a BFMA registered site (iirc - I am very rusty with my BMFA rules!) and at least hold an A license.

A craft like yours should not really be flown in a public area, as it can be a very dangerous weapon in an un-controlled environment. You should only ever be flying as a model flying site in reality. Rules might be different if you fly on your own land, but again, I am not sure.

IIRC the CAA defer to the BMFA on guidlines for safe flying in case of a claim. So it is always a good idea to follow the BMFA handbook. (Which will have changed in the 10 years or so since i last looked at it)

Caporegime
Aye make sure you got insurance!

I remember there was a guy and his kid who used to fly a plane over the fields round the back of my place, and one day he crashed into a persons house.

15 mins later they are walking past and the garage door is open and Dads messing around with one of the planes, they were laughing and joking about hitting someones home.

Then Dad said "I hope for your sake you got insurance"

Their faces dropped...

Soldato
OP
Look what daddy bought home :)

£110 spent today :\ bit more than I intended as I need to save for holidays but what the heck.

engine.jpg

bits.jpg

Irvine 53 ABC MKII £68
4.45 Ltr nitro fuel £15.65
Fuel pump with filters included - £9.45
Sports Prop - £2.57
inline fuel filters - £1.12
Tube bending kit - £3.64
Hinges - £1.28
Glue De-bonder (as I need to fix my elevator alignment issue) - £3.97

Back
Top Bottom