*** The Official Diablo III Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah it's like the auction app for iPhone.

"iPhone App released (yay Blizzard!) for $2.99/month (boo Activision)

Please note that I don't play WoW or own an iPhone.

Soldato
Not really sure why people are gutted to see it might be coming on a console, am I missing something?

Because developing for console = dumbing down, especially if it's an isometric rpg. It also means how the game works on a PC isn't their sole focus, which it should be.

Associate
I have been waiting for the third installment for years. I was an avid fan of the series and spent a good 6-7 years on D2 online. I wasn't a fan of LoD, I preferred the classic as we used to call it on the European channels. I stoped playing after the release of 1.11, after I lost a large majority of pre-LoD items, 0.9 items and "dupes".

I have been looking forward to D3, but I am not expecting much. The hope I hold for the game is the nostalgic feel, which I can see will not be evident in the third Diablo. I will play it for the continuation of the storyline and the wetting of the taste buds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because developing for console = dumbing down, especially if it's an isometric rpg. It also means how the game works on a PC isn't their sole focus, which it should be.

Wrong. If they have any sense, which they do, as they're Blizzard. They will release it for PC first just like they did with Sacred 2. It was fully developed on the PC and then several months later, in fact in may have been a year later it was released for console once they had modded it for consoles.

Soldato
Wrong. If they have any sense, which they do, as they're Blizzard. They will release it for PC first just like they did with Sacred 2. It was fully developed on the PC and then several months later, in fact in may have been a year later it was released for console once they had modded it for consoles.

He's not wrong based on your assumption they have sense.
You both have valid points, there are games dumbed down for console that PC gamers get the same version, plus your example.
We don't know what blizzard will do, nor do you, but we can only hope it goes the way you explained :)

Soldato
You can't really dumb down Diablo, the only thing they would mess with would be the control system to make it viable for both PC and console, but even then they could just have proper pad and keyboard/mouse support which I think they would do anyway. Diablo as a game is a simple concept, it's not like Starcraft 2 or something which could be extremely dumbed down.

Soldato
They've always said they'd thought about, or got plans for, a console release. However it was my understanding (although I can't prove this) that PC would be the first and primary release, followed by a console release later.

I'm not suprised, and I'm still hopeful. At *least* another 12 months to wait though...erk :/

Soldato
However when it was created it was not created with the thought of porting it to playstation in years to come.

When publishers/developers create what is primarily a PC game with the thought of a console release in mind, they want to do this for obvious financial reasons. The question arises 'how can we make this game so accessible as to interest as many users as possible of all the target platforms?'.
The answer to that is simplifying the game to make it feel accessible, whilst trying to keep it an interesting game. However very rarely does simplifying work without losing the interesting part. If you look at the player base of consoles it's majority teenagers/kids and even slightly more comlex dice games such as NWN and Baldurs Gate don't interest them, so you need to dumb it down and make sure you get their sales - hello D3

Associate
Diablo was on the Playstation and it actually played pretty well. Well, as far as my 11 year old self can remember.

You remember well. The PS version of the game was just as playable as the PC release, and while multi was limited to 2 players only it was wicked fun as well. Now that XBox 360 and PS3 have internet access there is no reason for such limitation. What I wonder though is whether Blizz will spread Battle.net over to console networks (that will cause balancing issues between PC and console players) or will they have their own dedicated servers.

As for everyone mentioning how long they've been waiting for D3 - D2 was announced 1998, out two years later. While D3 did get announced 2008, SCII took higher priority, so a 2011 release isn't all that surprising.

Last edited:
Associate

198791_86288_front.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom