690 II cable management woes

Soldato
I received my 690 II today and had been having visions of having a nice, neat and tidy looking system but its turned out to be extremely disappointing even if it is my first ever attempt at cable management/routing.

28jbrd3.jpg

In the above picture the two red arrows point to the ugly wires from my and rear and top exhausts connected to the fan headers.

The yellow arrow points to the 4 pin power connection that will only reach in that way.

The green circles point to the horrendously ugly mess of multi coloured wires. Most from my front panel connections.

But things get really bad on the other side.

102r2b9.jpg

Firstly, this picture does not show my final attempt. Its the aftermath of cable tying everything down only to find that the right case panel doesn't even come close fitting back back and so i cut most of the ties.

The big red circle shows all the front panel cables that i just cant seem to do anything with. Tying them down over the other cables just doesn't leave enough room for the panel to fit back on.

The small red circle shows a bunch of molex connections that power my front intake fan and LED. They too seem to cause issues with getting panel back on.

The red arrow points to the PCI-E cable going my graphics card and its rigid shape also causes issues.

I really dont know where to start to try and get this to actually work.

:confused::confused::confused:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
the first thing i say to every person who asks me about cable management is to plan

take the mobo out and plan where you want the cables to be.

visualise their routes and search for well cable managed builds in the same case for inspiration

Associate
have you tried running the 4 pin power connecter under the pci cards. Also can you not put those cables and molex connectors inside your case but at the back and try and cable tie them together. As long as they dont obstruct any airflow you should be fine.

Even though mine was a bundled system i still had to re-do the cable management to make it a bit neater.

I would first do what rjkoneill has suggested.

Last edited:
Associate
IMO if you are going to do something. It is worth doing it right.

I could have just closed my eyes and chucked it in, but I would have known it was a pure rats nest inside. And it would have bothered me.

Some ppl may think it is sad, but it is something that i enjoy doing.

Each to their own...

Associate
At least your cable management is better than this. This is from someone who thinks that they did a good job
fnviaq.jpg

Can someone give this guy some advice on cable management. Sorry if going off topic a bit
wiredinhungary.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hello goose i'll try to help i had same issues with my antec 900 ,if you can drill or drellel a hole at top corner near your back fan above your motherboard and take your 4 pin cable out the back up and up and back in if your cable is to short you can get an extention,if u not going to sleeve u cables all your coloured cables spray them mat black they wont stand out as much with all the front panel cables pull then to the middle of the mb tray and feed down and feed in through the botton just use gaffa tape to keep them in place no 1 see's the back ,try and get everthing as flat as possible for replacing u back panel or and move u 24 pin power up to next slot so u dont see u cable as i said my tip is getting most of your cables black so they blend into the case colour,hope i helped here is a pic of my antec 900 which a lot of people say is a bugger to cable manage still not finished got to spray the inside of case black
antec900.jpg

as was said take your time plan it out get the wire's flat as possible at the back there is lots of forums about it and some on you tube hope you get it sorted good luck

ps:you do not want to see the mess behind the mb tray lol plus took some tinkering to get the side panel back on :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanx, It was in a cosmos s prior to this but you could not get the rails behind the mobo tray. And i hated it, just could not get along with the case. This was in the garage so i decided to paint it.

For the 690 i used an akasa 8 pin 12v extension. this runs up the back of the mobo tray and comes out of the hole in the middle of the 2 top fans.

Use cable braiding on the fans. Use the following link to do it right

http://www.*****************/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=54

Use loads of sticky pads and cable ties. If you notice i run the top usb stuff down the side of the hdd holders. I'v also braided the on, reset, hdd etc to try and keep the black look.

I'll post some more close pictures for you to get some ideas.

Dont think it will be in this case for much longer i really want a 700 / 800D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all that x51m017x. If you have any super large images of your cable work, especially all the front panel stuff, i'd really appreciate it.

I'll look in to cable braiding although i dont know what i'm mean to do with that link :)

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom