The Adjustment Bureau

Soldato
Watched this last night, completely laughable film. Real shame as I love most of Philip K Dick's work, although I haven't read this book by him.

Back to the movie, it was just really silly throughout. The Adjustment Bureau get their power from wearing hats (lame) Throughout the film the The Adjustment Bureau team come across in a really camp way, that just makes you want to laugh.

I couldn't care for the relationship at the center of the movie either which meant I had no feelings about how it was going to end. Things left unexplained and then there is a really awful speech in the movie, claiming the height of civilization was the Roman Empire and then when us humans were left to our own devices, we had 5 centuries of dark ages and created fascism and had two world wars. Horrible, horrible speech.

Would avoid this movie completely.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I thought it was quite an enjoyable watch personally.

Yes, I agree there were some YAWNING CHASMS of plot-holes, and the film couldn't quite decide if it was trying to be funny, or deadly serious, not to mention the myriad of questions completely left unanswered.

But despite all that, I actually found myself enjoying the ride.

Though I would say, save your money, and watch it when it's out on Blu-Ray.

Man of Honour
I thought it was quite an enjoyable watch personally.

Yes, I agree there were some YAWNING CHASMS of plot-holes, and the film couldn't quite decide if it was trying to be funny, or deadly serious, not to mention the myriad of questions completely left unanswered.

But despite all that, I actually found myself enjoying the ride.

Though I would say, save your money, and watch it when it's out on Blu-Ray.

I really enjoyed the film as a whole. I didn't feel robbed for paying for it at the cinema either.

Associate
Meh, watched it as a last minute thing as "Unknown" was sold out :(

Started out well, but couldn't help thinking I was somewhat tricked into watching a love movie with a few Sci-Fi elements.

It was a cool premise, but throught with plot holes and just generally not much fun to watch (my opinion). Matt Damon acted well in this, but the film had so much potential that was just wasted. The adjustment bureau themselves just looked rediculous, hats that open portals to other parts of the world? Oh dear.

All in all, very mediocre.

Oh, and the ending felt rushed and sucked IMHO.

Soldato
Dissapointing thread is dissapointing.

When I searched for this movie on OcUK I was hoping for some debate regarding the obvious religious aspects of the move, such as are the caseworkers angels or demons? Is 'The Chairperson' god or the devil?

For example; this page, written by a guy who is clearly a religious loon, but nonetheless possibly correct in some aspects of his analysis...
http://manfrommodesto.hubpages.com/hub/The-Adjustment-Bureau-Movie-Explained

But religious debates aside, I love the concept of a shadowy semi-supernatural agency adjusting fates to make sure we reach our goals. It's just a shame the move centered around love and religion (and starred Matt Damon).

All in all 6/10.

But srsly... Angels or demons? :confused:

Even though it's based on a short story this is the type of film I imagine being far better on paper than film.
Oh come on! Movies based on Philip K Dick stories are almost always better 'on screen' than the LSD induced rubbish stemming from his own pen. Bladerunner? Total Recall? etc...

Dick had brilliant ideas that were poorly realised by his own writing (a claim I understand will be disputed by many nerds!), but those ideas have become amazing when turned into cinema. (this movie and "A Scanner Darkly" have been exceptions to this rule though...).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh come on! Movies based on Philip K Dick stories are almost always better 'on screen' than the LSD induced rubbish stemming from his own pen. Bladerunner? Total Recall? etc...

Dick had brilliant ideas that were poorly realised by his own writing (a claim I understand will be disputed by many nerds!), but those ideas have become amazing when turned into cinema. (this movie and "A Scanner Darkly" have been exceptions to this rule though...).

Yes and no. I'm happy to admit that Dick's books often needed a damn good edit: Ubik for instance, is a good book bolted very badly to a terrible on. And yes, Blade Runner (eventually) was a good film: but it's not a film of Philip K Dick, in the same way that The Shining is great because it abandoned most of King's source material. But Total Recall? A good film? It's cheese on toast. Fun, certainly. Good? certainly not. And it also completely abandons most of the source material. Of course it could be reasonably argued that nearly all the good films which are based on books get rid of most of the book. But then so do most of the bad ones. Most good authors are unfilmable if you want to remain true tot he original spirit, and Dick is no exception. The sly humour would never survive Hollywood for a start.

M

Last edited:
Caporegime
Given that he characters themselves bring up the issues of God and angels, the debate can only really go so far as whether you personally think its good or bad that they are interfering in people's lives. Their motives appear to be for good, even if some of their methods are heavy handed. They appear to be somewhat unsympathetic angels.

Back
Top Bottom