Who DOESN'T Use Facebook? (privacy concerns)

Associate
I don't use facebook as a general rule, though i do have an account and accept friend requests.

I feel like i'm in a tiny minority who doesn't use it on a regular basis?

The privacy argument seems a little cliche but i don't trust Facebook with so many privacy issues mentioned in the media.

The things i don't like about Facebook are:

Without scrutinizing the privacy settings in detail your photos and other info are easily available to friends of friends who you don't even know.

The news feed on facebook's homepage has posts and conversations from friends of friends for everyone to see.

Great if everyone's getting along but horrible if a so called friend is saying derogatory things about you for potentially hundreds of people to see.

My main problem with facebook is not being able to seperate your work colleagues from your real friends (as far as i'm aware), i certainly don't want my work mates seeing every intimate detail of my life and what my friends get up to.
When your work colleagues send you a friend request it's very hard to say no.

Facebook in the past have reset your privacy settings when they've updated their policy, not good.

A trend seems to be emerging where potential employers, colleges etc are checking your facebook page and potentially influencing your future job/career prospects, not good either!

I'm not against social networks, (love Twitter etc) just facebook pushes the concept a little too far?

Soldato
Don't use it but you have an account? Sounds like you use Facebook.

Edit: I don't really see the issue to be honest. Just make everything 'Friends only'.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just set security settings and hide/delete people who annoy you. You can set who sees photos etc. It really isn't hard or time consuming to go through the settings.

Not exactly hard, or a need to study it is there:
imagewgu.jpg

imagecma.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't flatter yourself no one wants your info or pictures.

Point taken but i'll express this another way. Say i'm friends with a few hot females, it's kind of fun (but at the same time totally wrong) to check out her friends list for hotties.
Doesn't take long to find some other hot females that i don't know and all her photos are available (and other info) to look at.

I'm not being sexist but girls tend to ignore in depth privacy settings because evolution made them that way (not so technically minded as us blokes)

Without them knowing it they are exposing themselves to the likes of me checking out their hotness and god knows who else!
At least i admit it's a problem!;)

Soldato
AcidHell2 covered it. Privacy updates recently make everything very simple and streamlined now, its just another non-existent excuse to try and buck the trend.

I personally have FB because its useful for keeping in touch with people I would have otherwise lost contact with.

Permabanned
I used to have a facebook but closed it. Not because of privacy concerns (it's pretty easy to lock down your account) but simply because it didn't offer me anything other than contact with people that through using facebook I remember why we were no longer in contact. Everyone important to me has my mobile number and email.

Caporegime
I'm only on it to keep up the status quo to be honest ( sad i know).

It's just a place for everyone to do two things. Complain and/or gloat about their life.

Man of Honour
I used to have a facebook but closed it. Not because of privacy concerns (it's pretty easy to lock down your account) but simply because it didn't offer me anything other than contact with people that through using facebook I remember why we were no longer in contact. Everyone important to me has my mobile number and email.

Organising events is the biggest one for me and talking to mates I generally only see at Christmas when we all go back to our parents.

Permabanned
Organising events is the biggest one for me and talking to mates I generally only see at Christmas when we all go back to our parents.

That's pretty much it's only real use I would consider. But then if there's an event on and a friend or family see it, they usually phone/text/email me.

I have just started using Twitter recently and that's mostly for getting in contact with various software developers or keeping up-to-date with news sources and the like. I find that much more useful and a lot less intrusive (if you put stuff in lists, rather than "follow") than it would be if you were to like something on facebook and have your wall bombarded with every little thing.

Soldato
Had an account for just over a year - last month I decided I no longer wished to participate and deleted everything I'd ever posted from my FB wall. Backed up all my posted pictures on my hard drive, deleted them from FB and closed my account.

Cant really see me going back either to be honest. The amount of crappy games and adverts on the site was really getting on my nerves, it got to the point that logging on was like watching Sky tv for an hour (20+ mins of adverts :mad:) I logged out one day and got the message "Make FB your homepage" and decided enough was enough and deleted the whole shooting match!

Man of Honour
You can hide all of the silly games andother junk people use, also if you have smart phone/tablet then use a Facebook app then no adds at all.

Back
Top Bottom