• Total voters
Associate
Bracket's out. 1 + 2 = 3

6 ÷ 2 x 3

Divide. 6 ÷ 2 = 3

3 x 3

Multiply.

3 x 3 = 9

Their is never 2 answers, you have to follow the BODMAS rule when using brackets, therefore the answer will always be 9!

Just incase somebody hasn't posted and cleared this up already!

Soldato
A number very close to zero is not zero as others have said. x/0 *is* meaningless.

As I've said, it's too complicated to explain to kids in school so they just skip over it. Of course it's impossible in its basic form of "I want to work out 1/0 please" but the fact is the concept of infinity opens up a world into fascinating theories and applications as well as explanations for many things in our universe.

Simply dismissing it as "meaningless" is utterly ignorant.

I don't want to go far off topic but I wanted to demonstrate that my point of looking at things through more that one perspective is valid.

And I suspect you're trolling anyhow. Or attempting to discredit anyone giving the right answer but lacking a math degree, because you have a math degree.

Ah yes the classic OcUK go to move.. "errr does not compute....errr... YOU'RE TROLLING!"

Soldato
The question says 6/2(1+2)...

So you do the brackets which makes 6/2(3). Now 6 times by 3 is 18. You are now left with 18/2 which is 9.

Soldato
Where in the equation does it tell you to do 2 times 3 on its own? the only bit thats indicated out of order is the 1+2.

I refer you to my earlier post, as it's a fraction, you have to resolve the bottom half first before dividing by 6.

Anyway you quoted 2 times 3, so your half way there to resolving the bottom half of the equation.

Also, as some people have already pointed out, where does it say 'TIMES' 2 by 3?

We have all assumed that part, have we not!!!!;)

Man of Honour
The question says 6/2(1+2)...

So you do the brackets which makes 6/2(3). Now 6 times by 3 is 18. You are now left with 18/2 which is 9.

That's a somewhat different solution to most to reach 9. The more usual appeared to be:
6/2(1+2)
(6/2)(3)
(3)(3)

Or for the 1 folks:
6/2(1+2)
6/(2(3))
6/6

It's quite something to see the ingenuity with which we've variously managed to interpret a question.

Soldato
That's a somewhat different solution to most to reach 9. The more usual appeared to be:
6/2(1+2)
(6/2)(3)
(3)(3)

Or for the 1 folks:
6/2(1+2)
6/(2(3))
6/6

Yeah it was meant to be another method in-case you didn't have easy numbers like 6 and 2 that can divide into itself. If it was 9/2(1+2) then you can't do 9/2 as a whole number, but you could do 9/2(3) which is 27/2 which can't be simplified any more.

Soldato
Bracket's out. 1 + 2 = 3

6 ÷ 2 x 3

Divide. 6 ÷ 2 = 3

3 x 3

Multiply.

3 x 3 = 9

Their is never 2 answers, you have to follow the BODMAS rule when using brackets, therefore the answer will always be 9!

Bracket's out. 1 + 2 = 3

____
2 x 3

Resolve bottom half of equation first,

So 2 x 3 = 6

So

____

Equals 1

Their is SOMETIMES 2 answers to a problem, you may have to follow the BODMAS rule OR OTHER RULES, therefore the answer won't always be 9!

;);)

Caporegime
That's half the problem, it's the kids that think it can only be 9 and not both!!!!!

They think its 9 because by convention it is 9

we introduce these conventions in order to remove ambiguity

by having an order of operations you remove the need to use extra parenthesis

the answer is only 1 if you chose to ignore convention and assume that the question is either asking something it isn't or is ambiguous with a possible answer of 1 or 9. With convention the ambiguity is removed and the answer is 9.

Soldato
They think its 9 because by convention it is 9

we introduce these conventions in order to remove ambiguity

by having an order of operations you remove the need to use extra parenthesis

the answer is only 1 if you chose to ignore convention and assume that the question is either asking something it isn't or is ambiguous with a possible answer of 1 or 9. With convention the ambiguity is removed and the answer is 9.

Dowie,

That's best and most sensible response yet, well done. :D

It's a fair point well put.

Caporegime
A number very close to zero is not zero as others have said. x/0 *is* meaningless.

And I suspect you're trolling anyhow. Or attempting to discredit anyone giving the right answer but lacking a math degree, because you have a math degree.

So, is 0.99r equal to 1 or not?

Anyway. A number divided by 0 is infinity, which you can show by calculating a/x as x->0.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom