Poll: Traveling by Train - 1st class seat dilema!

What would you do ?

• I sit in it until an inspector asked me to pay extra or move.

Votes: 91 38.9%
  • I wont dare sit in it, I didnt pay for it.

Votes: 122 52.1%
  • The 9:15 pancake has been delayed due to a signal failiure at Lysander Park.

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Could this be made into a poll please.

I was coming back to Paddington from Reading today and the train was packed. It was a pretty sunny day too, this was adding to peoples discomfort. The first class compartment has 12 seats but only 2 people in there.. Rather than stand up for 35 minutes I went and sat in there in air conditioned, relativley speaking, comfort.
I cannot comprehend why people dont do the same. Its not like its the Orient Express. Im obviously in the minority or it would have been full! :p

What would you do ?

1) I sit in it until an inspector asked me to pay extra or move.
2) I wont dare sit in it, I didnt pay for it.
3) the 9:15 pancake has been delayed due to a signal failiure at Didcot parkway.

Man of Honour
I pay extra to travel First on Great Western trains specifically to avoid the overcrowded standard class therefore it really narks me when people like yourself think you can walk in without paying the correct fare :p

The main appeal of First, and why its worth the extra, is because it's quiet, peaceful and tranquil a lot of the time.

Soldato
Iv sat in first class when the entire train was full (midnight train from Euston to MK) got to Bletchley and got threatened with a 1000 quid fine by the train bloke so we got up and sat on the other side of the door for the last 3 mins...

Overall just move when they ask you and point out that it was REALLY full, most train people arnt terrible people... Just a bit rude

Oh yeah go on the train line and half the time 1st class is cheaper than regular for longer distance when they havnt filled the train

Soldato
If you're playing Tudor Court Rules you can pretty much show the backhand card and sit where you like until Old Street. A common and popular strategy, first seen in the game around 1986.

Caporegime
No poll, You did not pay to sit there. The End. Next!

This...

and...
Trains are a rip off anyway, so id sit in 1st class to get my moneys worth. Any inspector comes along and me no speek the engleesh sorry bye bye

True, £30 return to get to Truro or Edinburgh from London is definately a rip off, especially as I have to sit back and relax watching a film on a laptop rather than just driving for several hours!

Man of Honour
Book in advance on popular routes and it isn't expensive. I'm going to Heathrow later this month and my First Class return to London is less than it would cost me in petrol before even thinking about the airport parking..

Caporegime
I think its very wrong, you've taken you choice on which ticket to buy and you know the consequences, I don't want some freeloader sat next to me in first when I've paid £274 return for that service.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;19033487 said:
Book in advance on popular routes and it isn't expensive. I'm going to Heathrow later this month and my First Class return to London is less than it would cost me in petrol before even thinking about the airport parking..

Just waiting for the long distance on the day ticket buyers... Especially those then comparing the cost against a low cost airline ticket bought a couple of months in advance.:D

Back
Top Bottom