* The Metal Thread *

Associate
I can't stop listening to this at the moment. 3:40 is a work of art.

Also, I feel no metal thread is complete without:

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow love it! bit of a mix between tool and amasefer :)

Check out Karnivool btw guys, absolutely brilliant australian band that are a bit like tool.

You're not wrong - these guys are very good - not quite with the complexity of Tool but better than Earshot, most excellent vocalist. EDIT: actually I retract that - their musicmanship is actually properly impressive.

Blown away by this one - just awesome

Last edited:
Associate
You're not wrong - these guys are very good - not quite with the complexity of Tool but better than Earshot, most excellent vocalist. EDIT: actually I retract that - their musicmanship is actually properly impressive.

hehe glad you like. Just like you I was blown away by themata...Such a freaking good song. The whole album is just superb, I only heard about karnivool a few weeks back but rushed out and bought both albums as well as there EP and im just so so glad I did. Sound awakes brilliant too, a definate recomendation for both from me.

Acoustic version of All I Know, just superb and I love Ian Kennys voice.

one of the most awesome intro's ever, especially with the volume cranked up on my marshall headphones :cool: haha.
acoustic version :)

Lifelike: another great song!

All in all though, not quite to Maynards level but very very good all the same. :p

EDIT: also ive never heard of earshot but they seem alright, Ill check them out. Definately some tool like elements in this song. Cheers for the heads up steve =)

Last edited:
Soldato
hehe glad you like. Just like you I was blown away by themata...Such a freaking good song. The whole album is just superb, I only heard about karnivool a few weeks back but rushed out and bought both albums as well as there EP and im just so so glad I did. Sound awakes brilliant too, a definate recomendation for both from me.

EDIT: also ive never heard of earshot but they seem alright, Ill check them out. Definately some tool like elements in this song. Cheers for the heads up steve =)

No worries although they aren't in the same league as Karnivool IMO - I suspect they're going to take some thrashing for the next few months at least.

Soldato
Just got Karnivool - Sound Awake and I'm liking it, though I'm not sure about the vocals, a little too light and detached from the music - almost like they decided at the last minute to add some vocals. Also, I think they sound more like Porcupine Tree than Tool.

There's quite a few bands out there that sound like tool, but none of them come close to recreating the atmosphere present in their albums (particularly Ænima and Lateralus). It's difficult to put in words, but they have a psychedelic, almost tribal vibe to them, with aspects of ethnic, middle eastern instrumentals. It's pretty hypnotic at times.

Associate
Just got Karnivool - Sound Awake and I'm liking it, though I'm not sure about the vocals, a little too light and detached from the music - almost like they decided at the last minute to add some vocals. Also, I think they sound more like Porcupine Tree than Tool.

There's quite a few bands out there that sound like tool, but none of them come close to recreating the atmosphere present in their albums (particularly Ænima and Lateralus). It's difficult to put in words, but they have a psychedelic, almost tribal vibe to them, with aspects of ethnic, middle eastern instrumentals. It's pretty hypnotic at times.

Completely agree about tool. Absolutely love them, just wish there next album would come soon but at the same time dont want them to rush it as im hoping its going to be another masterpiece.

Soldato
Completely agree about tool. Absolutely love them, just wish there next album would come soon but at the same time dont want them to rush it as im hoping its going to be another masterpiece.

I also agree about Tool - there is something driven and visceral about their music and there tends to be an encompassing aural theme that holds each of their albums together - unlike so many other bands their albums are very much a sum of the parts rather than a collection of individual pieces if you get my meaning?

EDIT: Wow, just picked up "Porcupine Tree - In Absentia" - Properly impressed, great sound!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom