Rerversing cameras

Man of Honour
OP
I really can't understand the comments saying its dangerous?? It's such a good feature and until you have one you don't know.

Its one of those things you dont realise the usefulness of until you have one. I've never been hugely interested before but two of the cars I hired in the States earlier this month had them fitted and I actually found them really useful.

Soldato
Was going to do this in the E46 and hook it up to the OEM nav. All it consists off is getting an NTSC camera, tapping to reversing light, and tapping into the tuner cable or something like that, was about 1 1/2 years ago.

May I suggest you go to xoutpost for this type of thing.

Associate
I bought this a couple of months back and fitted it to my Pioneer p4100. Definately worth £15. One thing I would say is that at night its very hard to see at all even with the small amount of light from the unit, I read somewhere that a camera that gives a Black+ White picture is better in the dark? The camera actually goes where one of my License plate lights lived.

IMG_1197.jpg

Associate
kPATm, mines the same regarding the camera being poor at night, but if you turn the lights off on the car, the camera seems to give off a better video and I can see more.

mine has 2 LED's either side of the camera that light the number plate up

Man of Honour
OP
Just out of interest, unless cost is an issue, have you thought about retrofitting one from an F10 or 6 series? Can't actually be that hard surely?

There is a genuine part for the e39.

It is priced like its still 2002, at 600 quid. Just for the camera.

Permabanned
Yes, tried one that is fitted to one of our tractor units at work by a driver, the idea is to cover his blind spot, its wired into his notebook (via USB I think) whilst yes, it shows if something is in said blind spot, its picture quality was poor and the image kept freezing.

It may not have been the one your looking at (I'm sure its unlikely!) but it was not the greatest piece of kit, no.

Spending more would give better results I'm sure.

The image kept freezing? Surely it was just a video feed? I fail to see how a cheap analogue camera could freeze under any circumstances, if the story is true then it must have been something wrong with the display device and totally unrelated to the camera.

Man of Honour
OP
The image kept freezing? Surely it was just a video feed? I fail to see how a cheap analogue camera could freeze under any circumstances, if the story is true then it must have been something wrong with the display device and totally unrelated to the camera.

1) Form opinion
2) Argue opinion
3) Invent evidence to support opinion but include plausible deniability if said experience doesn't relate to situaiton
4) Profit

Optional: 4) Tell everyone to lighten up and say they didnt get the joke. To be used if Profit not forthcoming.

Caporegime
, if the story is true

No, its a fabricated story made up for forum man points! :rolleyes:

WTF?

It was an input to a discussion, not exactly related to Fox's requirements, but my input on a small reversing camera.

Why it froze I don't know, nor care.

But **** me! yeah, "clearly" I made that up..... :rolleyes::confused:

Or am I just missing a joke here?

Permabanned
It's technically impossible for an analogue camera to 'freeze', so either it's a tall story to support your story or it was nothing to do with the camera. Generally on the internet it would be the former but it was probably something to do with whatever he was displaying the image on, so a £200 camera would have been the same. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's technically impossible for an analogue camera to 'freeze', so either it's a tall story to support your story or it was nothing to do with the camera. Generally on the internet it would be the former but it was probably something to do with whatever he was displaying the image on, so a £200 camera would have been the same. ;)
I bow to your superior knowledge, I just said what I saw, thought it was crap.

Either that it was a cheap USB webcam rather than an analogue CCTV camera

I did mention USB and it running through a little notebook in my initial comment so why I've had by balls kicked for telling porkies, **** knows! :confused:

Fox mentioned that he was not talking specifically about USB cameras where I was.

Meh!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom