Samsung Galaxy Note: 5.3", 1200x800 SuperAMOLED, S-PEN stylus, 2500mAh attery... *phew*

Man of Honour
For me it was good to see the amount of real estate the screen had... ive already seen how good the text is in other pics. :)

Is this back on the table then?

You should probably try living with one and see how you get on with it over time, that's the only real way with something like this unless it's immediately apparent it's too big for you to use.

Caporegime
OP
Is this back on the table then?

You should probably try living with one and see how you get on with it over time, that's the only real way with something like this unless it's immediately apparent it's too big for you to use.

It was just good seeing the real estate, the phone is interesting and im enjoying finding out more about it. As I said, ill try one in hand before making any kind of decision about whether its on or off. :)

Soldato
Well I've made the decision, the SGSII already has a buyer!

The main reason is because the Nexus is on the horizon more than 'yes, I can live with a device this big'. If decide it is too big, I'll get the Nexus on release anyway. :)

Associate
After playing with it for a week just to make sure i like it, ive decided to pack my streak up and send it to mazuma. Despite my first impressions on the screen its really grown on me, i turned the streak on last night to wipe it and the screen really doesnt look as good as i thought now.

Very pleased with the note :)

Associate
I'm still on my streak...it's still hanging in there with it's 1.6ghz overclock:) .

All though I am tempted by the note but I think I may wait for the sim free price to drop below £500 first. Although we are getting quad core phones q1 2012 so I'm lead to believe.....

Only problem with the streak it's lack of good games as the hd games don't support our old gpu

Associate
I got my Galaxy Note today and I love it but honestly it just makes me even more excited for the Nexus! I placed a new pre-order today using the Gummobile eBay store and I had a 10% off eBay voucher so it only cost me £485 - not bad! A saving of £57!

But onto the Note. It's strange as it feels a perfect size. Not too large and not too small. It makes my HTC Titan look tiny!

The HD screen is amazing and you can't see the pixels even though it's only 285 ppi compared to the 316 of the Nexus or 326 of the iPhone 4/4S. There is a green tint when looked at off centre but it isn't enough to spoil the screen. I am not going to complain about the pentile display as it is fantastic.

I used to have an HTC Flyer and the stylus is much much better than on there - as you can scroll and select using the stylus and the actual pen follows what your writing quite well. If you slow down your writing by about 25% it is accurate enough for notes.

Web browsing is insanely good - its great being able to read all the text on a fully zoomed out page without having to zoom in! It's like the iPhone 4S but easier on your eyes as the screen is bigger.

I know I'm not he first person to have a Note on here but if anyone has questions or wants photos I am happy to oblige.

Associate
I got my Galaxy Note today and I love it but honestly it just makes me even more excited for the Nexus! I placed a new pre-order today using the Gummobile eBay store and I had a 10% off eBay voucher so it only cost me £485 - not bad! A saving of £57!

But onto the Note. It's strange as it feels a perfect size. Not too large and not too small. It makes my HTC Titan look tiny!

The HD screen is amazing and you can't see the pixels even though it's only 285 ppi compared to the 316 of the Nexus or 326 of the iPhone 4/4S. There is a green tint when looked at off centre but it isn't enough to spoil the screen. I am not going to complain about the pentile display as it is fantastic.

I used to have an HTC Flyer and the stylus is much much better than on there - as you can scroll and select using the stylus and the actual pen follows what your writing quite well. If you slow down your writing by about 25% it is accurate enough for notes.

Web browsing is insanely good - its great being able to read all the text on a fully zoomed out page without having to zoom in! It's like the iPhone 4S but easier on your eyes as the screen is bigger.

I know I'm not he first person to have a Note on here but if anyone has questions or wants photos I am happy to oblige.

Thanks for your opinions, very helpful.
If I didn't have my transformer and my GS2 then I would probably have gone for this. I'm happy with the GS2 for when I'm out and about and use the Transformer when I'm at home.

Soldato

I am interested to know why you are more excited for the nexus now with it's smaller screen and less powerful hardware? I can't get both so am trying to decide on one before I am paid next thurs lol.

Currently on a desire n phone mostly used for browsing and YouTube when commuting etc. so nexus should be lot bigger than the desire anyway I guess just not as big as note.

Associate
So I don't see the power difference between the phones to be a big deal - 1.2 vs 1.4 dual-core is not going to be noticeable in my opinion in everyday life. I have noticed slow down on the note and I think that is due to all Samsung's customisations. It needs extra power to pull it off. I think that stock Android will run super smooth on the nexus and ICS should look impressive.

Whilst I think the size is great it is just too big for me to put comfortably in my pockets. I also have other phones in them so that doesn't help of course!

I just think that the pixel density will look amazing on the Nexus and blow me away even more than the Note and there will be less slowdown.

I don't know where you live but I'd suggest trying a major city and going down to somewhere with both in the area to try out and compare. The Nexus is meant to be out next Thursday so there is no reason why you can't go down to somewhere with both and try them out.

Having said that if you want something that is like a tablet and can't afford or don't want a tablet them go for the note. It will get ICS early next year and I would be surprised if Modaco or XDA don't have a ICS ROM for it very shortly.

Soldato
processors on the note vs nexus are pretty much identical - The gpu on the note tho is 50-100% more powerful than in the nexus. And you'd only really notice if you play 3d-intensive games.

Soldato
I have a couple of questions for those that have one. How is battery life? Does it have hdmi out and how is it? How close to the front of the glass does the screen seem?

Associate
I can't comment on battery life as I haven't had it for more than a few hours - I had it plugged in until about 4pm and it is right now at midnight at 54% - so it has gone down about half in 6 hours which means if I used it as much tonight it would run out at about 6am - but I won't be using it as much as I have no one to show it to! and it hasn't even been charged properly yet.

I think I will find the battery life makes this phone an outstanding choice to use as it will last somewhere between typical tablet life and a phone - which will be much much longer than any smartphone could ever hope to last. In other words I get the feeling that this really would last anyone a whole day of usage and not die unlike EVERY other phone.

I believe it does have HDMI out but only through the MHL USB socket - and I don't have a cable to test it.

The screen is amazing - it looks like it is right on the glass. It is clearly as good as the iPhone 4S screen except when tilted away as it does go greenish but it is nevertheless outstanding and a joy to look at.

The more I think about this phone the more I think it may be the perfect device - insane battery life (it seems), great screen and note take capabilities. Simply awesome. When this thing gets ICS it will be even more impressive.

Man of Honour
I don't think the battery life is 'insane'.

All the reviews I've seen indicate you'll get a solid days use out of it, but not much else. The battery is a nice size but there is no doubt that the phone draws quite a bit more power.

Associate
Sure the screen is larger and HD but it is still AMOLED so if it is black it uses less power - so I don't think the power usage is that much higher than a 4.5 inch Galaxy S II like they have in the US.

Lets be clear EVERY smartphone be it an iPhone or an Android phone has terrible battery life - if you use them from 9am until 9pm for more than just checking the odd e-mail they will DIE... The HTC Titan has the best battery life of any phone I have tried or used recently and that has a 4.7inch screen... and that is with an Evo 3D 1730mAh battery inside it.

This Note will easily last a full day of usage which is a huge benefit.

Man of Honour
I very much disagree that they all have 'terrible' battery life. With moderate use my iPhone 4 will last 2-3 days easily.

Associate
You really can't be using it much then - there is NO way that my iPhone 4S could last 24 hours without a charge on moderate usage. So either you have everything turned off or you don't use it much or you have a magic iPhone :p

Even Apple don't rate it that long... I am not saying I don't believe you but I have had more phones in the last 2 months than any normal person and none of them with the exception of the Titan have lasted a whole day of my usage and as excited as I am about the Nexus I expect that to be the same situation.

(for the record, iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, HTC Sensation, Sensation XL, XE, Titan, Evo 3D, LG Optimus 3D, Nexus S, Dell Venue Pro, Samsung Omnia 7, Galaxy S II, Ace and Fit)

Back
Top Bottom