A rogue US soldier has shot dead 16 Afghan civilians

Associate
They should hand him over to be dealt with via local 'law' imo, would go some way to stopping massive protests etc.

Probably would indeed, although it would never happen. I don't know Afghan law, but I would imagine you would be looking at death by firing squad. It just wouldn't happen.

Soldato
death penalty is needed for him.. what an evil man..

He's caused way more then 16 deaths.. we need to leave that country ffs or at least attempt to fix the damn place..

Soldato
RadoX said:
If your in a base with no need to immediately use your weapon within seconds what's the problem with my idea ? you could come under attack and then the person from your squad could literally press a button and unlock all ammo cabinets. giving you about 5 seconds without ammo.

Look at the number of times Afghan soldiers and police have gone 'rogue' and turned on American, Australian and British soldiers in the past inside 'secure' areas, and recognize that leaving men defenceless in FOB's like that is utter absurdity.

Soldato
I don't see why this is being used a reflection on America when it's a lone gunman who had obviously lost the plot.

Not that the above will matter for the 'retaliatory' attacks though.

They're occupying a country which was invaded in order to get the Taliban out. The Taliban is growing stronger again (women's rights are again being eroded), so the benefit of the invasion is diminishing - and what are they left with? War, and a load of Americans who don't seem to give a monkeys about the people and their beliefs.

Everything every American does in that situation is going to be used as a reflection on the increasingly-unwelcome occupying force. It's a proper PR disaster.

Associate
Unfortunate that he is going to be hung out to dry just to placate a few sock puppets when we have probably put him under intolerable pressure.

I think on our side the duty rotations are above what they should be and to see your colleagues getting maimed by an unseen enemy must be unimaginable.

Lots of self important fuss, which will conveniently ignore what would happen if we were not there and the Taliban took control.

Unfortunate he'll be hung out to dry? I don't care what way you paint it but there's absolutely no excuse for what he did. Hopefully he'll receive as harsh as penalty as he can get.

Caporegime
They're occupying a country which was invaded in order to get the Taliban out. The Taliban is growing stronger again (women's rights are again being eroded), so the benefit of the invasion is diminishing - and what are they left with? War, and a load of Americans who don't seem to give a monkeys about the people and their beliefs.

Everything every American does in that situation is going to be used as a reflection on the increasingly-unwelcome occupying force. It's a proper PR disaster.

correction

in order to get al qaeda out

which was achieved...

Even if stability has to be achieved along with some power sharing agreements between the Afghan govt and the Taliban so long as al qaeda is unable to re-establish training camps in that country then the aim has still been achieved. Whilst a proper democracy and women's rights etc.. would be nice its not likely to be achieved anytime soon and isn't required to meet the original objectives. Quite frankly the Taliban could take over the whole country but as long as we don't get training camps re-introduced then, as frustrating as it might be, the original aim will still have been achieved.

Personally I'd like to have seen us withdraw far earlier tbh...

Soldato
Its very sad to see this happen :mad:. People in Afghanistan don't want foreigners in their country telling them what to do and setting up curfews and inhumane stop and search checks. Its going to go to worse over there. I hope the US\NATO will understand that they are not wanted and leave.

Soldato
Yes, I think the US went over in direct response to the 9/11 attacks and hence were seeking out Al Qaeda, but removing the Taliban was also one of the priorities of the mission.

It certainly would be nice if Afghan women didn't live in a world where their fingers are chopped off if they're found wearing varnish, where they're unable to access education, where they cannot report rape or violence toward them without being accused of adultery and punished.

The Taliban also massacred its own civilians - we're not talking simple women's rights here, but an awful, awful regime. Which is coming back.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, I think the US went over in direct response to the 9/11 attacks and hence were seeking out Al Qaeda, but removing the Taliban was also one of the priorities of the mission.

The Taliban did have a chance to hand over Bin Laden/kick al qaeda out - but yes once we invaded clearing the Taliban out was required in order to establish an afghan govt we could work with.

The Taliban also massacred its own civilians - we're not talking simple women's rights here, but an awful, awful regime. Which is coming back.

Oppression of women is coming back with or without them - the current afghan govt isn't exactly great on women's rights either. Ironically this conservative Islamic approach on their part is one of the things that might lead to better dialogue between the Taliban and the Afghan govt and hopefully bring about stability. As far as women's rights are concerned then in recent times they had it best under Soviet rule - prior to that you'd have to go back to when they were mostly Buddhist.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
I highly doubt it. There have been a spate of incidents over the years involving personnel from there but nothing seems to happen to them. No punishment is dished out.

If that's the case then why is Leavenworth USDB practically full?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Disciplinary_Barracks

:rolleyes:

The US Military does not like to publicize and parade the disciplinary actions it enacts, which it shouldn't.

We're all just used to the vulture-like Press covering every grizzly aspect of a media-relevant event, but things like this aren't really fit for the public eye. it gives the US military a bad reputation for one thing.

Associate
If your in a base with no need to immediately use your weapon within seconds what's the problem with my idea ? you could come under attack and then the person from your squad could literally press a button and unlock all ammo cabinets. giving you about 5 seconds without ammo

Do you want them to sign an Acceptable Use Policy as well ??? ;)

Back
Top Bottom